koiboy01

Yama, I need your help

Hi Mike,
I have just dug up from a friends house 3 bamboo's (yellow with a green stripe)they are about 12 to 14 foot tall and vary in thicknes from 3/4" to 1 1/2" in thickness I dug them up with a small root on each one and I have placed them in a very large pot with potting compost and watered them in really well,is there anything else I can do to keep them alive as they look magnificent and it would be a shame to loose them.
Thanks Mike in anticipation of your answer.
George.

yama

Dear Geroge
This is my opinion
1)
You seem to have yellow groove bamboo.
Your mamboo shoot is excelent for eat/bambooshoot. colum is rather thin so it is not much use for constration limited use for craft.
. When you need to make bamboo broom, yellow grove bamboo banch's soft branch makes softer bamboo bromm than moso's bamboo broom.

2) Transpanting bamboo during summer is not ideal time. Most my bamboo tranplanting was done October to April. When I need ajob and help of weather, I did moved during May. This was done in Tokyo and Georgia. Since I do not your know yoour weather, you can use as guide to your local condition.

3) Suport bamboo
Newly planted bamboo is need to secured by sturdy suport.
When ever I transplant bamboo (s), I dig holes , prepaire mulch and matterial for for suport. then start diging bamboos, use burlap to keep roots moist and keep soil intact.

Supot newlt transplanted bamboo need different suport from tree.
we use called Nunogake.
since bamboo has small roots ball, wind shakes tall bamboo roots system. newly developing tender bamboo roos must be protected.

I draw how to make "nunogake and mail it to you. You need to have bamboos ot thin strip.!"x2" 10 to 12 feet long.
style bamboo suport. I should have photos somewhere.( somewhere is not helping you :oops: ).

Just in case ( because you dig out worst time of the year) bamboo couln't make it. Go back to where you got bamboo,fill hole and fertilize at least 3 time before next spring come, you can try it late winter/early spring before baboo shoots are coming out.

Can you send me photos or post it here?

Your friend, mike

yama

second letter to George

We some time cut bamboo 4 feet high above ground which have no branch nor leave for long distance trasportation/transplanting. this way bamboo can be loaded onto truck many numbers of bamboo and easy to handle.
disadvantage of this method, bamboo takes 2~3 year longer to establish.

Just in case, your bamboo coundn't make it, roots /rhizome may have good chance to survive. so keep soil moist and mulched.
we also digout rhizome during fall to late winter and lay rhzome 3 inch deep in soil. 6 inch 12 inch long. this way, bamboo may takes 4~5 years to establish.

Each bamboo node has two branches, one is longer than other.
small node on the branch have 18 to 26 node. you can prune bamboo branch ,shorten /reduce number of nod to 12 ~ 14 at bottom branch, 4 or 5 node ot top of the bamboo. it look like shrrp angle piramid like shape.
reducing number of leave and shorten branch increace chance of survive.
Also top the bamboo 2 feet or so.

I have cheap prepaid calling card. I don,t mind to call you and explaine to you. You have my email address? give me your phone number if you want to have free expert sugestion :D

If I talk to my friend next city in Tokyo cost much more than calling from USA to Japan. :evil:

If you have only 3 bamboo, you need to have 5, 8 feet long 1"x 2'' strip or similar length and size of wood.

your friend ,mike

bluezephyr

I was given a Bamboo the other day with a small root on, I'm hopeing it will survive also as it sat out of the ground and water for long enough to make the leaves semi dried out , 3 others I was given a while back looked a bit ropey and to the point I thought tey were dead, but they survived and are doing well, the long winter we got made things a bit late coming back to life I think, Bamboos seem quite a resilient plant.

How many years do they take to get stems of 3/4" - 1' 1/2 ?

yama

Hi
It depend on how do you take care the bamboo and enviment condition.
General speaking, bamboo try to establish rhizome first 3 ~ yraes or longer. Once rhizome become mature. then whatever diamter bamboo you got from, it will be same diameter as soon as rhizome mature.
Since I donot know what kind of you get, I should say 3 to 5 years.
yama

yama

I got a new toy today , a Degital camera and have to figure out how to use cell phone also. Font of manual so small, even with reading eye glass, hard to read it.

I used to wonder why older people complain small print . Time catch up with me :evil: Now I complain my self and understand how other elder feel. :shock:
yama

Return to “Japanese Garden Forum”