yama

Japanese Gardener's handy tool you can make #1

Tool called Kaki ita
which all professional Japanese gardener use and under estimated it usefulness in USA.
Kaki means scrape, ita means board in Japanese.
1x4 hard wood 8 to 10 inch long is needed. one end you cut about 45 degree to point one end.
We Japanese gardener use this board to for fine grading. It is very usefull after installing tree, or laying sad for fine grade.
I keep 8" long kaki ita and 10 inch kaki ita always in my truck. making berm around newly planted tree or shurbs often hard rake is too big to work around and between shurbs.
You can find scrap wood easly around contraction site. You can buy hard wood 1x4 lumber at Home Depot by foot.
used pallet wood, floor sample of hard wood floor, Look around , you will find free wood anywhere.

Mike Yamakami

tylianna

It's very interesting to see how the simplest (and cheapest) methods are usually the best! I use my hands to dig, weed, etc...

I also used a sharpened stick to dig out dandelion roots!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

We have found simple and easy to be the most effective way to do most things. Fukuoka-o-sensei was all about the non-machinery, non-chemical, organic methods, and this has been proven out.

Thanks for one more easily used, easily made method, Yama... :D

HG

Return to “Japanese Garden Forum”