yama

How To start: Headge planting

When you decide to planing hedge , there are few tricks of the trade.

same shurbs for hedge.
Some time dig trench is make sence for setting headge plants.
If you are diging individual holes, make it sure that hole is 2 ~3 times biger than pot .
* Pick three best looking plants for end of hedge and midle of hedge. and rest of plant should place evenly( good shape, ok/poor look next to each other).

If under gorund pipe, or rock make hard to set plant even distance, you can lean plant slightly to fill gap. just matter of time headges fill gap between.
You also can trim off root to make it fit..
when back fill soil, only fill 1/2 to 2/3 d of soil then water lot's of water to make plants and soil settle in. check plants and space . before fill rest of soil fill.
Make berm for retain water around each plant.
Fertilize lighty and often until hedge establish.

mike yamakami

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Thanks Mike,
I would like to make a hedgerow around the outside of my fence of my pasture, as well as, around my garden, the idea is the animals won't get out of the pasture, but will trim the hedge. And the animals out of a pasture like wild deer will stop at the hedge and browse and not enter my garden.

What plants do you recommend for a hedgerow?

Or are you talking about the hedge that you prune to a certain size for privacy?

yama

Hi Ozark Lady
Hedge for Japanese garden is different from pasture :)
How differrence? lengh of hedge, porpose of deter deer and growing condtion are different from Japanese garden. I have no idea of lengh of hedge, quater of mile, half mile ? need lot's of plants which cannot irrigate and cost of maintenance. Your area's extention service , land grant Univercity's annimal science Dep, Horticulture Dep or USDA office is best place to ask your question. Some tree host pest or disease and toxic to domestic annimal. The tree out side of pasture fence reach over inside of pasture and cattle or any other domestic annimal can eat leave or twigs.
Extention service peoples are bunch of wonderfull people. You can trust them.
( some tree from Japan grow fist, flower and 20 ~25 years, the tree can be marketable to Japanese market. Japanese timber importer looking for good lumber. President Carter growing the tree 8) )

For Gardens, not just Japanesgarde, hedge serve many functions such as
define area, wind break, noise reduction,privacy , create buffer etc.

I often ask to my customer that make list of your wish and write it. wild, crazy idea are ok........ then I ask again what color you like, what time the year flower you like to see. any of your family member have algic reaction to bee sting? age of children, pet(S)
if ever green hedge is desired , requirement of dencety. who is maintain? contractor or your self , horticultual knowlege etc
Asking many question and give few sugestion. Before buying plants or awarding contract, you should know what your are getting and consider all your options.
If you are busy, consider hedge plant which can take growth regulater, then you need to trim only once or twice par year and muchless debris and your time.
Am I giving you good advice or :roll: ?
:) One at time.
Mike

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Well, I do understand that we are talking apples and oranges.
You are talking a work of art and beauty.
I am talking simple funtionality, and feeding the animals, but also for health.
I didn't know, figured Japanese likely have goats and hedgerows to feed them too. Couldn't hurt to ask, right?
The one I have in mind is no contractor, no major issue, just herbs and various things that you plant and once it gets growing, forget about, other than to water if it needs it or fertilize a bit occassionally and let the wildlife, and domestic make good use of it.

yama

Hi Flower Lady (ozark lady)
Simple functioality ?
If you want to feed domastic animal, timothy hay, fescue, rape green (which have yelow flower ) serve purpose. If hedge yor goat can eat ,then deer will eat it too.
Japanese farmer plant trees along property line or practical place which they can sell within 20 ~ 30 years. Beauty is one thing,economy is other.
15 years ago or so I have conducted reserch to get into agri business.
If I have 1 acre of land, probably I can make 2~3 times more income than small farm run by single famy, growing crop /350 to 500 acres of wheet and soybean or peanuts.
Since cost of farm land in USA are reasonable, when farmer want have more income , get more land to increase income instead of try to find way to increase income by altinative crops.

I still have dream to have farm land. You are luky to have a farm land. :D
I still think your area's extention service, and or USDA are the best bet to get best answer.

Yama

Return to “Japanese Garden Forum”