yama

Wistria #1

Wistria is very popular in vine form, as potted plant, tree from in ground , and wistria Bonsai in Japan. Oldest Wistria in Japan is about 1,200 years old.
When repotting of wistria bonsai, potted Wistria, or collecting wistria from field /transplanting are prety much same.

when transplant wistria, repot to larger size pot or same pot, normaly we don't cut off/shorten root.
Instead of prune roots, bandle wistria roots togather and winding roots and use natural fiber to tie togather.
Reason doing this way is that when wistria roots are pruned, roots die back few more inches.
young, healthy wistria gowing too fast in regular pot and in bonsai pot, youn submerge 2/3 of pot into water in pan and leave it for a week to 10 days.
young tende when leave are strting yellow pull of from water.
Young roots are killed or stress out and slow down vegetave growth and start to set flower buds. It is Japanese trick of centureis for wistria.

Wistria can be propagated by seed, twig cuttings or root cutting airlayering.

We have 4 strains of Wistria. Japanese Noda fuji, Japanese Yamafuji, Chinese wistria and Native of Eastern part of North America. length of flower are 2inch to 3 feet long.

One from of wistria I have not seen in USA or other werstern country is
Fujinami /wave of wistria. It is wonderfull way to grow wistria if you have large land/garden.

Mike Yamakami

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Yama, thank you for that trick; we are often asked why the wisteria has not bloomed ten years after planting. This secret makes a good deal of sense to me once you explained it (as many of your explanations do).

Domo Arigato, Yama-san.

HG

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

Wow I had no idea what a Wisteria was. Subarashiii!

yama

Hi
You are welcome and thaks for complement :D
Beside above posting. how to fertize, when fertilize,what fretilizer have to use makes different.
Also know how to water. When I said " to know water, takes at least 3 years. most people did say "Oh come on Yama, anyone can water plant.
Too much water kill or make plant grow more and won't make it bloom.
Some time ,let's soil dry but not completely,watering can controle growth.

During mid to late spring. new spring growth, you can twist brach or squish branch with thum nail but not cut off twig. If you prune new growth, wistrria will send out more new growth which you should avoid.
once branch are injured, wistria slow down growth. avoid pruning during summer. Thin bark of wietria gets sun burn.

I am warry that am writing too many postings and take away other people's fun to write. Please let's me to know.

Scott
I don't have digtal camera nor scaner but I can draw to explain now.
If you can post my photos or drawing, I ma happy to do it.
Once I go back to Japan, buy new pc, scaner, degital camera and post Japanese gardening photos.

Mike Yamakami

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Mike we are honored to have you here and I will happily read whatever you post. When you return to Japan I will be very happy to see your photos, but very sorry to lose you to the homeland. Their gain is our loss...

HG

yama

Scott :) Others :D
Cut/injure with sharp knif is one way. If your not for sure ,then use coper wire with plastic or plastic cable tie and chock stem/ trunk of wistria but not leave it too long.
if you tie after leaf out, then keep it until fall. by fall you have to remove
cable tie or coper wire. ( Don't use steel wire. it is too stiff and injure wistria and hard to work with.)

If you are going to airlaying. never, ever try it untile leave are developed. Often fail if try airlayering before leaf is developed.

Wistria flower on second year short branch so that pruning in fall, spring to summer growth, you have to save one to 3 node. Not cut bach alway back. For wistria in pot , thin out some branchs not make tree have too many flower buds. It is same for bonsai wistria. limit number of flower buds. size of the tree and number of flower should be balanced.

When prune wistria with pruner, clean wound with sharp kife and derss with grafting past. that way , wounds heal ceanly and leaving no visible scar on trunk.

I am sorry that I am not well organize to write.but remember What I wrote when you work on wistria. 8)

yama

Beaty
Newly Registered

Hello Yama,
I am new to the site and as you seem to be very knowlegable about wisteria perhaps you could give me a tip or two on mine.
I have my wisteria in a very tall pot just about over one year now. It is starting to grow up on my pergola this year but I have had no flowers since planting it. I was told to pinch off one or two long stems, which I have done, but still no flowers? I have been feeding it regularly since Spring with tomatoe feed and sometimes Miracle Grow.
What am I doing wrong.
Beaty
Dublin

yama

Hi Beaty
You are not doing anything wrong. :)

1)
If your wistria propagated be seed,it will take 7~8 years or longer to bloom. People who know how to feed,what to feed and know how to take care ,then He/she shorten time to make wisria bloom.

2)
Wistria's flower buds are setted previous year. After leave are fell off in
this fall, look for look for short stubby twig. if your wistria have it, ( about 1" or so long twig) then you will see flowers next year.

3)
Feed your wistria bone meal and if you have ash, if you don't have ash handy,feed potash fetilizer. also lime or gypsum. lime and gypsum contain calcium which help up take of other fertilizers.

4)
while wistria growing rapidly, sending out more vineand green, wistria is not preparing for flower buds. reducing Nitorgine is one thing you have to do. not water too much is next. not prune during sprind to summer, pruning during growing season, it will encurage more growth.
Instead of pruning, twist new growthor pinch with your thum nail whci reduce growth speed but wistria still have leave to have proseccese of photosynthesis.

5)
Try to tie stem of wistria vine with copper wire,twine plasctic binder until late fall( untill leaf drop).

6)
If I am, won't depend on soley liquid fertilizer. I use organic fertilizer mainly and if plants need fertilizer quickly then use liquid fertizer.
I am new to this frorum too 8) . I use to write other Japanese garden forum for years, but not any more.
Japanese are obsessed English garden ,beleive or not

Enjoy Gardening. Yama

Return to “Japanese Garden Forum”