yama

Old method of slowdown growth, more fruit without chemical

No matter where gardener live, we always try something new.
Instead of newway of doing, I introduce old Japanese method of slowdown growth and make more friut /flower on the tree .
It may not apply to every flowering tree or tree.

key word are Plant hormon and camium .
The Japanese gardening book of "Tsukiyama teizoden was written by Kitamura Enkin 1735 he is mentiong how to make more fruit on the tree.
long befor 1735, gardeners knew how to do it withou knowlege of plant hormon and cambium.( Horticulture and Botany)
Some gardening book I have written 50 ~ 70 years ago also mentiong it.
As of today, Many apple orchad in Japan use the technic to make apple tree more productive without chemical. My self experimented the method and I, myself know it works.
fruit trees which have hard bark, some has don't have hard bark to protect its self but still work.

Here is how.
It is very simple to do it
1)
hitting bark with stick ,hard enough to mild damage to cambium under bark but not too hard to rip bark off . Once cambium is mildy dameged or stressed by hiting bark, fruit tree holtl/slow down vegetal growth and try to repair damaged section. That makes slow down new growth.

2)
In eary spring(could be mid spring, depend of your location) when new growth still tender and gorwing , you can place new branch on your index finger, and vent or use thum nail craush new twig/branch but to broke off. you have to practice and lean how much of force can apply by your self. some of tree/plant you can twist between thum and index finger, you will here small sound.

3)
For Small diameter nursery stock, half inch wide or so bark is strip off and put it back upside down, and use grafing tape to secure and prevent water get into it. After two months or so, brak healed and the nursery stock grow normaly and help to cut time to flower/fruit. iIt alternate grafting.
This old school knowlege have been applied to Persiomon, wisterea hundred of years. It may not apply every case however.

4) use shap knif to cut bark but not remove bark like (3) above.
this is good for small to midiam size potted tree and won't leave scar on bark.

Mike Yamakami

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

This is a lot of master class stuff here, Mike. Thank you for taking the time to post it...

S

Piet Patings
Cool Member

That sound really advanced.

And I am afraid that I won't take the risk of trying this out on one of my few mature niwaki.

A bit like bending a stick to make an arch. If it broke than you did bent it too far. Just a little less then.

PS: Just to not confuse the matter I do not have fruit trees but would not mind, or even like it, to slow down the growth of some trees.

koiboy01

Hi,
My friend Mike Yamakami certainly has most of the answers,he is a font of knowledge, you will not go wrong taking his advice,keep up the good work Mike.
George

yama

Hi piet
We ,Japanes gardeners doing bending trees hundareds of years by thousands of gardeners.
when bend branch, use strip of bamboo (not any bamboo, bamboo has to have strength and flexbility) . You have to know how. Most Japanese garden books in English is for table top book. It don't explain detail.
Garden writer and landscape architect lean detail of Japanese gardeneing from gardeners.
Use twine wrap banch and slowly bend branch, if you know "knots" , that will help you to prevent spliting.
Remember, we use chesal or other tools split branch to before bending large branchs. You have to know "how" Don't afraid :)

Hi George
I no longer write other Japanese garden forum. Something happend between Don and I . I removed some of my postings myself which I could. Rest of then stay overe there.
Are you settle in New home now? It is good to hear from you.

mike

koiboy01

Hi Mike,
Yes we are gradually getting sorted I am just starting on my front garden which is 25foot x 21foot and I have just bought six ton of ice blue marble chippings (which are a grey/white) and I have seven decent size limestone rocks from my old garden, I intend to do a karasansui garden then all I have to do is rake it.
George.
Last edited by koiboy01 on Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sunrise_Anne

Yama

I've seen that method suggested for tomatoes to make the plants grow stockier and shorter and more productive. I have to admit I'm nervous about injuring my plants, afraid they wouldn't recover. It must take a lot of experience and confidence.

yama

Hi Anne
Tomato is different to make it productive.
I dig big hole in fall , add organic material, planty of lime,gypsum,
spring, 10 to 2weeks before planing tomato add organic and chemical fertilizers then plant tomatos. My tomatos set flower eraler than neighbor's tomato and last longer than other gardener's tomato.
In Japan. Chrysanthemum grower use tooth pick to slower down growth of chrysanthemum.
Japanese farmer who grow tomato commercialy pinch buds to controle hight and shape of tomato.
Controle pest is bigest headack.
yama

koiboy01

Chrysanthemum grower use tooth pick to slower down growth of chrysanthemum.
Hi Mike,
How do they do it.
George.

yama

Hi George
Three chrysanthmum in a pots, often on or two plant grow fist than other(s) . To win prize at chrysemthmum show, three palnts have to same hight, one grow first than other. use tooth pick penatrate stem of the plant. once mildly injured plant will slow down and other will cachup.

if you want to slowdon one plant in pot, shake ,vibrate pot or plant gentry for 3~4 weeks, plants slow down to grow up ward.
When I was 5 or 6th grade, a teacher told to the class that,deligent farmer pat rice , then rice produce more....... I thought that a teacher is stupid. After I havwe learn about plant hormon, I was the one stupid.

I am going to home soon. if you want me to find Japanese gardening book or other topic book, let's me to know.I have intrest in Microbiology, composting,vermi culture, waste management now. I want to creat the best potting soil and make plants grow first and strong.
I keep same e mail address. so keep in touch

your friend, mike

yama

Hi George
It has more information about it. My note is shiped to Japan.
First week of December,I will be in Japan. Once setteled in. I write more detail information for you. I am busy to to move back to Japan.
I will take everyday people's Japanese garden photos and rear plants photos and post here.
If you want to me to find and ship, Let's me to know.
mike

koiboy01

Hi Mike,
I hope you have a safe journey home to Japan, I shall look forward to your new posts on the forum when you get a little time.
George.

Return to “Japanese Garden Forum”