philljp
Newly Registered

Acer Advice, and ID for Beginner

Hi all,

I'm looking for a red Acer (Japanese Maple) that looks like one of the following:

https://somegeek.home.comcast.net/~somegeek/japanese_maple_2.jpg

https://atlanta521.com/sitebuilderImages/510-Japanese%20Maple.jpg

I really don't know what type it is though. I don't even need to know the exact type, just one that looks like that, that grows around 1m-2m.

I want it to have that bonsai look.

Thanks for any help and advice :)

TomM
Greener Thumb

Hi Phil, I believe the tree of your desire is the lace-leaf variety, perhaps "Crimson Queen" like you will see in the other recent thread here. There are others as well, and some have "blood" in their names - like bloodgood, blood red, etc. Most good nurseries will have these.
As for the 'bonsai-look' you will still need to achieve that effect with some proper pruning.
If you have a bonsai nursery near you give it a try.

philljp
Newly Registered

Thanks for the response. I can only really find a "Tamukeyama" in my garden centers. Although I have seen Bloodgoods in the past. Do you know if the Tamukeyama would be suitable? I'm finding it pretty hard to find the tree I want.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

'Tamukeyama' is a very hardy cultivar and does very nicely in even colder climes than most laceleaves prefer. I find the color to be more purple than red, and the habit to be somewhat stocky and less graceful than the aforementioned 'Crimson Queen' or 'Ever Red'. I am a fan of 'Red Dragon' for the glowing new growth, but it is hard to find. 'Filigree Red Lace' has extra cut leaves and a nice flow to it...

The one that I think has taken the market over here is 'Inaba Shidare'; good red color, excellent hardiness, and a vigourous growth habit, but it tends a bit towards the upright side of things. 'Bloodgood' is the Acer palmatum in my yard, but it is an upright and not a laceleaf type, so certainly not what you are after...

Hope this helps...

HG

koiboy01

Hi,
My Tamukeyama it has come on a treat and this year is even better I have it in a very large pot the reason being that I can move it round my garden to enhance any view.

philljp
Newly Registered

Thanks for the replies guys. Awesome garden there Koiboy, looks like a lot of work!!!

I went for a Tamukeyama in the end. For some reason, all the garden centers around here (UK) only seem to have the Tamukeyama in the height I need.

My main concern is the wind, I know Acers are sensitive to that. Anyone happen to have any other tips with regards feeding etc...

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

They can certainly windburn and many are susceptible to sunburn as well although Tamukeyama seems a hardy beast compared to most... but I have seen sunscald hit bark to the point of mortality, so be aware (your higher latitude should help a bit with that...)

HG

Return to “Japanese Garden Forum”