DankyDoo

Trimming green lace leaf maple

when would be the best time to trim my green lace leaf maple
I'm just wanting to round it off a bit its planted outside behind my house.
Last edited by DankyDoo on Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

FLBonsai
Cool Member

Right before spring comes is a good time to do some pruning. Remember if you want the tree to be 6 inches shorter cut a foot off (just a general rule of thumb). The best time for shaping a maple would be in summer after all its shoots are long.

GardenGeek
Cool Member

Do agree with the first answer.
This time is best for the trimming of plant as spring is about to reach
you may go for it :)

SWMOgardens
Cool Member

I have a lot of Japanese maples and pruning day is one of my favorite times of the year. I try to finish pruning no later than the end of January here in the midwest zone 6.

yama

SWMOgardens wrote:I have a lot of Japanese maples and pruning day is one of my favorite times of the year. I try to finish pruning no later than the end of January here in the midwest zone 6.
I agree wtih SWMOgarden. If you wait just before spring, it is too late. Maple should be prune before roots up take water.
Late pruning cause wounds bleeding and hard to stop it. some bleed more than others.
Remove any dead branch first. don't use anvil type pruner. bypass pruner is better. If you have time, after prune twigs /branch use sharp knif to smooth out wound.
If maple tree is large, you can brake off twigs instead of prune every one of twigs . if you broke off twigs , pruining can be done much faster.
Many Japanese gardener in kyoto does that way.
Start to prune inside of the tree toward out ward. Just in case you broke off branch accidently , you have tig/branch to fix it( to work with)

Maple bark is very delicate, so work carefully . Hopefuly you know how to thin out twigs /branchs
yama

Return to “Japanese Garden Forum”