Nutz
Newly Registered

Japanese Acer is drooping - What to do?

I have a Baby Japanese Acer I believe it's only about 2-3 inches tall
the leaves have drooped down and it looks like it's dying can I save it?
please help me

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Probably just needs to be watered but, the addition of some liquid seaweed fertilizer, diluted as per the instructions on the bottle wouldn't hurt.

Good luck.

PS I love maples!

koiboy01

Hi,
You havn't been looking after it too much, like giving it too much water have you ,the soil should be just moist not saturated.
koiboy01

Nutz
Newly Registered

I think maybe I over watered it, I live in Upstate NY, and it's been raing since yesterday and is not supposed to stop until SUNDAY
The leaves are still drooping but they still have there full color, do you think there still a chance it will come back?

Gina :(

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

If it is an overwatering problem and not an underwatering problem then the tree may have some sort of root rot or some other fungal infection in which case, there is not much you can do, as far as I know.

Try lightly digging around it's roots to see if they are swollen. If they are not swollen then just let the tree rest for some time. Maybe give your tree some fertilizer (organic fertilizer).

Nutz
Newly Registered

Thanks Koiboy

I will wait for the rain to stop and before I try anything, because if there is a chance it will make it I don't want to do anymore damage.
I can't believe how upset I am about this baby tree but I am, I love Japanese maples and I can not afford to but one there well over 700.00 a tree here so a baby was my only shot it was given to me and I feel as if I did something wrong.

Again thanks for your advice

Gina

koiboy01

Hi,
seeing that it is only a small acer I would advise you to get a trowel and dig it up with LOTS of soil around the roots so that it dosn't know it is being moved then put it in an 8" to 10" pot and place it out of the rain and sun in a dry shady position DON'T water untill the soil has started to dry out and keep checking it out.
George.

Nutz
Newly Registered

Thanks KOIBOY

That is what I will do, the rain has stopped so I will do exsactly as you say, lets hope it works

again thank you so much

Gina

Return to “Japanese Garden Forum”