tk421storm

Reccomended Japanese Maple Cultivars

Hey all!

I'm winding down my first ever season as a gardener, with a wonderful new Japanese moss garden in my backyard. I'm starting to think ahead to the rest of the property, and I want to place some striking Japanese Maples around.

Currently, I have a green variety that purportedly turns golden yellow in the fall (soon!) and two bloodgood varieties.

My question is, what's your favorite cultivar? What's the one that makes people stop and stare throughout the season? It looks like I'll have fall covered with golden folliage, so something bright and striking in spring/summer would be a great addition.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Someone else asked a similar question under the above title not too long back. Didn't get a lot of response, but here's the thread...

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=88510&sid=d446226e46fc021235c59f45f89f0def

maybe more people will take up your invitation!

Incidentally, your garden sounds beautiful!

Piet Patings
Cool Member

tk421storm wrote: My question is, what's your favorite cultivar? What's the one that makes people stop and stare throughout the season? It looks like I'll have fall covered with golden foliage, so something bright and striking in spring/summer would be a great addition.
Although no question is wrong, the question is are these the best questions to ask in your situation ?
And also you give the wanted answer yourself. "bright and striking" this is just a matter of looking for "the right" cultivar on the many available websites.

I agree that "your garden sounds beautiful". So would not the question need to be "What does best fit my beautiful garden on a particular spot ?"
And would that then be the right tree to grow on that spot ?
It may help to look at samples of genuine Japanese gardens that have more or less comparable compositions and base a choice and search on that.

The last blackbox in these examples may help you with that [url=https://www.zen-garden.org/html/page_toc.htm#TOCVISUAL]Visual ToC[/url]. Enjoy,

tk421storm

Thanks for that link rainbowgardener, that was exactly the kind of response I was looking for. I didn't mean to phrase the question to sound like "fix my problem/make my decision" because there's no way I'd do anything more than take friendly advice from an online forum. I just hoped it would elicit some passion from fellow gardeners who'd love to show off their treasures.

koiboy01

Hi Storm,
The varietys of maple that I have in my Japanese garden,there is one that I have not photographed yet wich is absolutly fantastic it is a new variety called "Gwens Rose Delight SHIRRAZ"

tk421storm

Wow koiboi! You've got quite a collection. I love the TAMUKEYAMA - such beautiful bright red, with those wonderful spindely leaves. Does it remain that bright red all season long? What about fall?

I love the verdis too - I've got one of those in the garden I created this summer. The bright green and beautiful leaves have been complimented by many.

koiboy01

Hi Storm,
Yes, it keeps it's colour all year through,maybe getting a little darker red later on in the season. Here is a link to Gwen's Rose Delight SHIRRAZ just look at those amazingcolours, just copy and paste into google
Japanese Maple - Acer palmatum 'Gwen's Rose Delight
koiboy01

tk421storm

Wow!! That one is fantastic - so wild!

Herb3

I had a succession of failures with Japanese Maples, until I saw one called Acer Palmatum "Shaina". The label said it liked full sun, so I planted it where it would get full sun. It's now in its third year there and it's thrived. Now it's definitely my favorite Japanese Maple! -
https://www.pbase.com/mtu_fulani/image/115755407

tk421storm

Full sun is rare - that one's going on my list!

Return to “Japanese Garden Forum”