Herb3

Alpine Mint Bush

Removed
Last edited by Herb3 on Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Piet Patings
Cool Member

Hi Herb,
I have never seen it used as moss replacement, as that is what I assume you intend. I would be reluctant for a number of reasons:

This link [url]https://www.anbg.gov.au/gnp/interns-2005/prostanthera-cuneata.html[/url] describes it as "evergreen shrub to around 1 m tall".
Although Thyme are also shrub, they will not grow that tall. So there may be the risk this will not end up as a ground cover but as a garden cover. So if at all you should have the prostrate specimen.
"The prostrate form makes an excellent ground cover and looks lovely in a rockery with its dense, shiny foliage and delicate, white flowers."

Also I would probably prefer less conspicuous flowers and flowering.
"The flowers are a very attractive trumpet-shape, coloured white with many purple, red or yellow blotches in the throat..."
A ground cover should be greenish most of the year (look like distant forest). I do not know when, how long and how often they will bloom.

But I am not sure I have ever seen it in real life, which could relax the above reluctance.

Herb3

A substitute for Moss? No. More like an alternative (depending whether in it's the prostrate form or the taller form) ) to things like Gaultheria procumbens or Ajuga, or Vinca minor, or Pachysandra or various dwarf evergreen shrubs or things like small-leaved Hebes - or even small Azaleas.

The flowers on the specimens I saw were not profuse and were inconspicuous enough not to detract from the attractiveness of the leaves.

Here are some other peoples' opinions of it -

https://www.rainyside.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4248

Piet Patings
Cool Member

Ah, sorry, wrong assumption regarding the application. Rest my case.

Return to “Japanese Garden Forum”