compliance guy
Newly Registered

My Japanese Maple leaves are turning Green

Help!! The leaves on my Japanese Maple have turned green (about 90% of them) there is still a little red but not much. Is this a soil issue?

koiboy01

Hi,
It all depends what variety it is, as a lot of Japanese maples do change colour as the season progresses, I shouln't worry to much.
koiboy01

Piet Patings
Cool Member

Hi cg.
Like koiboy said, I would not worry too much.
My "Acer Palmatum Disectum garnet" went from deep-red/purple into light-green with some red and brownish (dried) edges.
This happened in July ! The timing is different every year. This is rather early but I am glad the leafs are still on.
So don't worry, be happy,

lilypotter
Newly Registered

All true Japanese maples are variants of Acer palmatum. You have purchased a great tree but may have managed it incorrectly - hopefully not beyond recovery. Japanese Maples come in several leaf colors and forms. The easiest trees to propagate are the green-leaved varieties. So nurseries grow green root stock and graft red-leaved stock off that root.

You have allowed the green stock tree (which will sucker from below the graft) to become the dominant foliage. Your photo shows a classic example of this.

Manage only the foliage above the graft line (if you have any left) and remove all green sprouts below. The tree's symmetry may be upset for a while. Japanese maple is a slow grower and you must give it time to develop its natural form. Heavy pruning is not necessary nor recommended.

koiboy01

Hi,
You have allowed the green stock tree (which will sucker from below the graft) to become the dominant foliage. Your photo shows a classic example of this.
where's the photo ? I cannot see one.
koiboy01

Return to “Japanese Garden Forum”