AcerSpades
Newly Registered

So tell me, YOUR PERFECT ACER??????

Hi ya all!

If cost was no issue, you had the perfect location, and the perfect conditions.

What would be YOUR PERFECT ACER???

I will start the ball rolling with

Acer Palmatum 'Ukigumo'

Please feel free to join in!

A

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Just going by beautiful pictures in the Wayside Gardens catalog the Oridona Nishiki with pink wihite and green variegated leaves looks beautiful as does the aconitifolium, a dwarf full moon...

In the meantime I once mail ordered a Japanese maple from some speciality company for $40. When it arrived it was about 18" high but not much more than the thickness of a thread. It was already out of dormancy, covered in baby leaves which were dying. I planted it immediately and babied it the best I could, but it just died. The company refused to make good on it.

So a couple years ago they had healthy looking Japanese maples on sale at Kroger, I don't know what variety, for $10. I figured I couldn't lose too much that way. I bought one and planted it and it has done beautifully. Gets covered in very dainty, multipointed deeply cut, deep burgundy leaves in spring, which gradually fade out to red in summer and then get more color back in fall. It was also about 18" tall when I bought it; is now about double that and the same wide and lovely. So Kroger's mystery variety.

Herb3

So far as our garden's concerned, I can't think of one I like more than Acer Palmatum shaina.

https://www.pbase.com/image/115755407

Return to “Japanese Garden Forum”