I love my bloodgood in NJ
Newly Registered

Japanese Bloodgood Maple Tree

Hi, my first visit, please help! I bought the most beautiful 4' bloodgood about 3 weeks ago. When I purchased the tree, the nursery had it in small flower pot about 1' in diameter. I wasn't sure where I wanted to plant my new baby so it took me until now to choose a spot. When I went to plant it, I noticed that some of the leaves were beginning to curl up. So I hurried to get it into the ground. I have watered it every day and I gave it some fertilizer a day or two before I transplanted it. A day later after planting it all of the leaves are now curled up!! I used the recommended soil by the garden supplier and watered it. Please someone help me save my new baby!!

koiboy01

Hi,
If the leaves are browning at the edges and curling up,have they been in a windy position and got wind scorched OR have they been watered while the sun was shining on there leaves, also they don't need fertilizer as the fertilizer could burn the roots, to try to save it I would pot it in a large pot with a mixture of 60% ericacious potting compost and 40% pea gravel then place the pot in a shady position out of the wind and water it keep the soil MOIST BUT NOT WET.
koiboy01

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I have pasted OP's response here:

Thank you for answering my question. You said that I should put the tree in a large pot? Did you read that I already have it in the ground? Should I take it out of the ground again and put it in a large pot, or just surround the tree with the type of soil you recommend??

Cynthia H.
Mod hat on

koiboy01

hi,
Yes, if it was mine I would put it in a pot, you can then place it in the best place.
koiboy01

Newly Registered

Hello,
Well, all of my leaves are beginning to fall off now, but the branches are still soft and flexible so I guess my little one is only going to sleep till next season. I think where I planted it is a good place so I'll leave well enough alone for now. Thank you for all your help.
Anna

Newly Registered

It's been a little over a month now since my leaves turned brown and started falling off. But I just wanted to share with you that at the bottom of my tree I have about 5 new bright red leaves growing. I'm so excited to see that my baby is going to make it!!!!!!!! :D
Anna

Striferitus
Cool Member

ya I just got 3 bloodgood seedlings and a moonfire in a gallon pot. just be really carefull about the sun burning up your tree. it can happen in just a day. I was supprised how delicate they are I was like wow

yama

Striferitus wrote:ya I just got 3 bloodgood seedlings and a moonfire in a gallon pot. just be really carefull about the sun burning up your tree. it can happen in just a day. I was supprised how delicate they are I was like wow
Bloodgood grow much faster than other cultivar. so give lot's of space. most Japanese maple can take wet soil ,clay soil
seedling of maple tree may, may not look like mother plants. This is why we have hundreds of Maple variety. Very easy to create new maple.
bloodgood maple name in Japanese is Nomura momiji.
easy to grow and get big .
Enjoy your baby

oops
if you stake small maple , it will help to establish roots system quicker.
yama

royaladyaa

Bloodgood Japanese Maple have delicate roots near top of
ground. They HATE fertilize with salt in it, so be sure and
read labels. The leaves turn bad if there is too much water,
too little water, too much heat. Very, very delicate when
they are babies. I guess that is why they are so expensive.

Return to “Japanese Garden Forum”