Yotta Yotta
Newly Registered

Best Container soil for Japanese Maple?

Hello,
I got three tiny Japanese maples (10-12") and I treated myself by getting three super huge pots to plant them in and let them grow (maybe 2' diameter. 2.5' tall). I can't wait to to see the little guys grow to fill their new homes!

The problem is I'm not really sure what the best kind of soil/grit would be to fill the pots with.

:roll: I've just never worked with containers this big before and I'm a little worried that the usual stuff I use for my smaller pots may "clog up" in a big pot. Plus this is a lot bigger commitment and I would like to not have to change the soil too often.

koiboy01

hi,
I use aprox 60/70% ericatious potting compost to 30/40% pea gravel and keep the pots damp but not wet.
koiboy01

Piet Patings
Cool Member

Hello,
Potting is a different story and even depend on the pot-size. The soil requirements are also different for a full grown tree and the youngsters. In all cases soil must drain quickly, but still retain water, otherwise a long and sunny weekend away from home may already lead to damage when you can not water them every other day or so.
What is also important in relation to this is how much attention you can give them and where they are placed and your weather conditions.

A good compromise can be the koiboy01 suggested soil and cover it with Peat moss, gravel or mulch (what is most aesthetic for you) on top, so as to temper evaporation. So the pot must also have a drainage hole !!

Also using soil that is used for bonsai, but with less clay and loam is a good alternative. The soil should not be too dense as that will inhibit the growth (good for bonsai but not for you). Most importantly is that the soil remains damp.

And a bit of good luck, enjoy,

yama

Hi yotta yotta
Do you know meaning of yotta yotta in Japanese ? It's so funy :D
I have lived in your neighboring state,Georgia for 22 years so I can understand Alabam gardening.

cover soil of pot
pine strow works very well, don't carry any pest ,diese and keep potting soil cool in hot Alabama summer. easy to find pine strow . Midium size pine bark work also. but not large pine bark .

poting soil
while maple is small you don't have to warry of weigh of soil yet, once maple grow to lage, weight of tree and soil have to be balanced . if soil mix is oo light, storong wind knock off whole tree. If iam ,iuse lightly heavey soil any pot for out door. most potting soils sold at store are too light.

pot
if you can use double potting , inside pot is smaller than outter pot.
double potting keep desireble soil tempreture though year, cold or hot. between two pot you can fill with some insulator material which stable soil tempreture.

Underneath of pot
life bottom of pot 1 inch to 2 inch above floor. If you are going to have pot on wooden deck, or concreat/stone floor, you can keep clean and helps to drain water.

Enjoy gardening it is wonderfull world.
yama

Return to “Japanese Garden Forum”