OKnewgardener
Newly Registered

Japanese maple is dying- help!

We live in Oklahoma and planted a Japanese Maple about a month ago. It's small, about 4 ft high. It was fine and then this morning I went out and the leaves are shriveled up- every single one of them. I'm so upset, because it appeared to be doing well. We fertilized when we put it in and followed all of the directions from the nursery. It gets morning sun, but then is shaded for the afternoon. We water a few times a week. Is it too late to save it?

koiboy01

Hi,
Is it in a windy position as if it is it could get scorched by the wind which dries the leaves out, also if you water it when the sun is shining on it and the water gets on the leaves that could also make the leaves dry and brittle
koiboy01.

Piet Patings
Cool Member

Well OKnewgardener, what koiboy01 suggests can all be causes.

However you may also have been pampering it a little too much.
The fact that
the leaves are shriveled up- every single one of them
may also come from under the surface, I.e. the roots.

A Japanese Maple likes its roots be be moist and not (too) wet. Although I do not know your weather conditions in the last month, watering it a few times a week, may be just too much.
Also ....
We fertilized when we put it in
. What did you fertilize and how ? This to can be too much.

If it was too much water then letting it dry for a couple of weeks and then wait and see, wile only modestly, or not at all watering it, may still bring it back.

OKnewgardener
Newly Registered

Thanks for your suggestions. I think that we may have been over-watering it. We'll leave it alone and hopefully it will rebound. I still have a lot to learn about gardening! Have a good weekend!

Return to “Japanese Garden Forum”