cloudycat
Newly Registered

Japanese garden rock symbol

Hello. I rencently visited an authentic Japanese garden in Seattle. On the ground by the tea gathering house, a rock was placed alone with a black string tied around it. What does this symbolic rock gesture mean? Thanks!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Ah. This is the request. I will move this request to the "Japanese Gardening" forum so that gardeners with more expertise have a better chance of seeing it.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

IndorBonsai

If I remember right tied stones are placed in areas like paths or end of walkways, it is a subtle way of saying please don't go any further, or this area is off limits. I forget what the black string means exactly but something to do with a special stone.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Correct, IB! The symbology of the the rock when it is removed and hung by the path is to announce the path being open, as it signifies suspension of time, a recurrent theme in Japanese gardens and art.

HG

yama

Hi all
It is called SEKIMORI ISHI. Seki means "check pont" of between regions. MORI emans gurd in Japanese ( has other meaning too) Ishi means stone. Small stone about 3 inch or so , tied with Shuronawa / palm twine teid two place . one is on the stone , two to 3 inch long twine straight up and tied to sear to pick stone. those knots are called Otoko mushubi or tsuno musubi. Musubi mean knot in Japanese, Otoko= means man, tsuno mean horn.
Instead of saying Don't go or pass this point, a gentle way to asking "not pass this point " some private home, tea house place Sekimori shi time to time.
yama

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Domo Arigato, Yama-san...

HG

Return to “Japanese Garden Forum”