Herb3

Japanese lantern style

Removed.
Last edited by Herb3 on Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Hi Herb,

I think it's more a brand name there; I have seen this type called Edo as well, and cannot vouch for veracity, but judging by the qualities exhibited I'd be prone to believe the latter example...

[url]https://mtfuji.net/products/product.php?pid=128[/url]

HG

Piet Patings
Cool Member

Herb, nice job.

I agree that it looks more contemporary, in which case it should be named Meiji - Taisho rather then Edo.

However I found an old example where it comes close to.
Have a look at: [url]https://www.karesansui.nl/html/page_obj_ornaments.htm#LANTERNSXMP[/url] and see the number ten photo of a lantern in Genko-an (established 134) Kyoto.
Not sure from when the lantern dates though.
Piet,

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

The lantern in that image is an Oribe-gata, isn't it Piet? The pedestal buries right into the ground in that style. Herb, were you asking after style, or "gata"? I have pored through my books (Conder and Newsom, among others) and I find nothing like that style; it seems a hybrid of a oki-gata and a yukimi-gata; can't call it the former as it has legs and can't call it the latter as it only has two legs... I think contemporary style describes it well enough...

HG

Piet Patings
Cool Member

True, with the similarity I very much referred to the upper parts (not even the spherical top jewel), as Herb's lantern has a solid base and the Genko-an example is of the type that is baseless and inserted directly into the earth.
Yes it is an Oribe-doro (gata).

Oribe doro from the Edo period can also be found. These are also called kirishitan dourou (the stem is four sided with Christain symbolism), after Francis Xavier. This is still not like Herb's square model.
.....contemporary style sounds most fitting..... :?
Piet

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

doro or toro= lantern

gata=style

The Oribe/Christian angle is tenuous and I've seen it debated elsewhere; the figure on the front of the lantern in the Oribe-gata is a representation of Jizo-bohsattsu; I have often thought the similiarity in names of Jizo and Jesus might have had something to do with it; perhaps a cultivated misunderstanding? (Not the first time the church coopted local deities; I think of santaria, among the other South American examples). But a little heavy for discussion here...

Nice lantern, Herb...

HG

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

The capital of Japan was at one point called Kyoto (Edo). In a capital you would see modern art, right? Don't ask how I know this. Edo refers to the old capital and the end of the samurai but don't quote me on that.
:hide:

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Actually Edo referred to the Shogunate capital, which we now know as Tokyo. Kyoto is now and always has been the Imperial capital...

[url]https://www.artelino.com/articles/world-of-edo.asp[/url]

HG

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

a dull read for most but concise history of japan is a really good book.

ps my left hand is cut pretty bad. should heal in a week or so I'm on some drugs so I might be a little off at times.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Hey the capital bounced back and forth a lot during the Sengoku-jidai. It gets confusing, I know...

HG

koiboy01

Hi Bert,
What ever you want to call your lantern is okay by me, you have done a really good job on it.
Cheers George.

yama

Hi Herb
Ever since Edzard asked me kozama which I couldn't answer 7years ago, I have been studing about stone lantern.
Like many of internet infomation , many infomation so badly wrong.
Now I am studying korean stone lantern as well

Make it short, I can't find any called Edo style in My Japanese stone lanten book, as well as landscape text book.
Some one created new name. :lol:
yama

Herb3

Removed
Last edited by Herb3 on Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yama

Hi Herb
Stone lantern on the web, people don't know anything tredtional stone lantern and it meaning. It is concreat object , not stone lanterns we know of. They want to quick buck :(
Many web store showing thire stone lantern are don't know what they are selling and discription od stonlantern are inaccurate. too bad. wh
Edo gata stone lantern is " round Ukimi toro with 3 legs" because In kyoyo, Osaka area, thire Ukimi toro have 4 or 6 legs ( not nowaday, 200~ 300 years ago)
yama

Return to “Japanese Garden Forum”