SmilnKimber
Newly Registered

Japanese Maple Question

I'm new to this board, but have read a bunch of posts, and you guys are great.

I have a question on our Japanese Maple, its a drawf, and wheeping if that helps. It has the very fine leaves, and is purple.

I read here that watering issues are the cause of browning of the leaves on the tips.

This is happening to our baby! :cry: Its only a few months old, planted at the end of May. Its approximately 2 feet high, and has several branches (can supply pic if needed). We water ours at a minimum of 4 times a week are we not watering enough?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

By watering several times in smaller doses, you keep a wetter profile near the top, so the plant feels no great need to put roots down deeper. By watering heavily once a week, you will provide the water it needs AND the reason to send down roots (to get it...).

This plant is also not really fond of hot dry weather, so if you've been getting what I've been getting... Afternoon shade is almost a must for this plant, so look things over and if you need to move it, let us know; we can help...

Scott

SmilnKimber
Newly Registered

Thanks for the help Scott. I will wait until our rain stops, and start a good watering weekly.

I'm pretty sure it gets a ton of afternoon shade, but I'll watch when the sun comes back and make sure. It sits under the shade of a tall maple or oak tree.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

That sounds good. We'll talk... :)

Scott

MrNorth
Cool Member

I was under the assumption that plants that have recently been planted should be watered every day until they establish themselves in the new environment? I thought it was only after year two that this procedure of "seldom but alot" should be used...

Assuming the weather is hot....

/Henrik

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Certainly the case with big trees, but I like to let things stretch a bit longer as it does just that, causes the roots to go searching for the moisture, and THAT is the real way to get a plant established, especially in tough soil conditions...

Scott

Marge
Cool Member

As winter approaches here in the North of England I was wondering about frost protection for young acer trees. The trees are currently in pots and could be taken indoors, or can they stay out with a bit of fleece around them?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

As you get near those Northern Marches the soft weather your island is famous for gets a bit dicier. I wouldn't feel safe outside with a Japanese maple unless you can assure above freezing (not likely with the new weather models), but indoors is not going to give a good vernalization (plant hibernation). A garden shed (deciduous trees won't need winter light) or another such locale might be your best bet...

HG

Marge
Cool Member

..ta for the tip :D

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Marge, think about planting those in the ground or even under a small poly tunnel. A lot less work in the long run and you can repot it in spring...

HG

koiboy01

Hi Marge,
I have quite a few acers of different varieties which I keep in large pots also some are bonsai, but mine are left out all winter without any adverse effects I live in the East Riding of Yorkshire maybe not as far oop north as you are.
George.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Interesting George. What kind of lows are you experiencing? How large are the pots?

Scott

koiboy01

Hi Scott,
My garden dosn't get much below freezing point and the temperature soon rises when it does, my pond is unheated and it's a few years since the surface has had any ice on it,I can remember aprox twenty years ago being able to walk across the pond on the ice, (is it global warming?).
To give you an idea of the size of my pots with my Japanese maples can be seen at this link.
https://koi-z-are-us.20m.com/japanese_maples.htm
George.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Thanks George!

HG

Return to “Japanese Garden Forum”