Ivo
Newly Registered

Project for a Japanese Style Garden

Hello everybody!

I'm planning on doing a change to my garden, or at least, part of it.
I have a traditional portuguese garden which means a big lawn with various plants of climbing species (I don't know the correct name) circling the lawn (suported by a high fence) I'll share photos, maybe tomorrow. I'm really proud of my garden but a trip to Japan left a little wish on me - to do a Japanese Garden.

So, I have a zone of 4x4,80 metres in which to develop my garden. I know it is pretty small... but I'll have to start there...

Tomorrow I'll also post my current project along with photos of the location so that you can tell me your opinions.

I'd like to make something pretty small (scale problem) and I remember seeing one kind of moss that almost didn't grow in height in Kyoto... What kind of moss would be best? And can I take care of it?

Thanks, Ivo

Piet Patings
Cool Member

Hello Ivo,
The size you have available reminds me of Tsubo-niwa (small courtyard garden). However it very much depends on where in your garden this lot is located and how the surroundings look and what will best fit.

Related to moss, my advice would be to wait with that. You first need to know what type and style of Japanese garden you want. Perhaps it will not at all have moss in it !

Have a look at the six realization phases on my website: [url]https://www.karesansui.nl/[/url] Even if it is small it will still be a good idea to briefly go through the design phases and then decide if you want moss after you know more of the requirements and feasibility.

And even then you may want to look for alternatives. In my garden there is little moss. First, it is "open" and most mosses do not like Sun-light. Then the soil and moist is very important. And third, in my garden we have lots of black-birds. They will take apart each and every tiny piece of moss that has grown. Al reasons to decide for alternatives.

I'll see the photos you put up, regards, Piet

Ivo
Newly Registered

Hi and thanks to both of you, I'd already seen your gardens :)

Unfortunately I couldn't take a picture of my garden because my sister took the camera with her... However, I can show you my first sketch. I do not study arts and I only had 8 pencils from my childhood so it is not very good... It looks even worse since it was photographed with my webcam...

Hope you can understand a little bit...

[img]https://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr253/calcatrilhos/jardim.jpg[/img]

I was thinking on making something like a miniature japanese garden :lol:
Everything at scale, not a true japanese garden but something to be occupied with :) My main inspiration is the garden of the Yachiyo Ryokan in Kyoto where I spent a wonderfull time!

Piet Patings
Cool Member

I was thinking on making something like a miniature japanese garden
Well Ivo most Japanese gardens are sized to fit the space.... often based on real natural scenes, but also mindscapes are used.
Before you start I would urge you to start reading.
There is written a lot about Zen gardens and how they are based on monochrome ink paintings. Have a look at my Tsukiyama page and the How to typify, architect and compose a Japanese garden ? page to get a quick impression.

If the water on your drawing is real water then the size may become a real problem. Perhaps you should use dry water. A Pont requires more volume. An other option would be cascading streams with real water.
Enjoy,

Return to “Japanese Garden Forum”