wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Laceleaf Japanese maples

Here's something I found worked for my Zone 5 laceleaf Japanese maples. I had one too tall for a rose cone, so I put a pillowcase, then a full-sized bedsheet over it, tied it off top and bottom; then piled leaves and straw at the base up to and over the bottom of the sheet. It's now April and by golly, them buds are just fine! I'm pulling off the straw at the base as it thaws out. It was new last year and about 55" tall. I've used rose cones or lg foam pots for smaller ones. It kinda looked like Casper the ghost all year outside my window; and I could see footprints in the snow of curious bystanders (or Peeping Toms? :shock: ). My original plan was to make a three-sided rectangular burlap box, open at the top and towards the house, and pile leaves in; but didn't get it built in time. Hope this helps someone else.

Happy Gardening!
Wingdesigner

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Great idea Wing...

I like everthing but the piling of straw and such around the base. Might encourage rodents who would eat the bark around base and girdle the tree (found two like that at a nursery yesterday). I'd wrap the trunk in felt or burlap instead...

Scott

Return to “Japanese Garden Forum”