Luvasiamese2

Japanese beetles.... what's the best answer?

Hi all. I live in Northern IL, (almost Wisconsin) and I have found those shiny black/green irridescent Japanese beetles on SO MANY plants this year, and they do a great deal of damage. :cry: I have tried several different remedies, each with their own degree of effectiveness, and was about to try the Japanese beetle traps. If you don't know, they look like a hanging bag with a plastic top and a scent attractant on it, which the beetles hit and then fall into the bag and can't get out. I have several questions about these traps.

First of all, I was wondering where the best place was to put the trap.... away from the plants to lure them away, or around the plants where the beetles actually are? Second, will I be attracting beetles from other yards that weren't in my yard to begin with? lol (Sounds like it could be a double edged sword!) And thirdly, does anyone have a method of ridding their flower garden of these beetles that they like better than the trap, or are the traps the way to go? I would love any help/comments you may have. Thanks all!

Chowmom

And another question. I'm considering Milky Spore because I'm at wit's end. I know it can kill other related beetles. But I can't find anywhere that tells me which other related beetles!!

If they're other bad beetles I may just go for it. If they're beneficials I need to think about that.

Anyone know?

dinker

From what I have read the traps cause more harm then good they just atract more some birds eat them like cardinals and meadowlarks. doesnt milky spoor only work on them when they are in the grub stage

dinker

dinker wrote:From what I have read the traps cause more harm then good they just atract more. some birds eat them like cardinals and meadowlarks. doesnt milky spoor only work on them when they are in the grub stage

Luvasiamese2

Thank you Dinker... I SURE don't wanna attract more..... and I've never heard of Milky Spore... don't even have an idea what that is or what you would do with it. I would like to keep whatever I use "green" as I do have squirrels, chippies, birds and a couple of grey mice (they are so cute). What is Milky Spore and is that the best answer? Thanks e1. :roll:

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Milky spore is a natural remedy. Is a species specific bacteria that is effective only agains the grubs of Japanese beetles. You broadcast it to eliminate the japanese beetle lavae in your lawn/garden area. Have never used it before, but is supposed to be very safe and very effective and doesn't harm other insects and beneficials. Problem is milky spore will do nothing to help you against this year's beetles. If I were you, would buy the traps and move them to the perimeter of your property, as far from affected plants as possible. That will attract the beetles away from your plants. IMO there is nothing wrong with using the traps, but you have to use them in a smart kind of way. Also there is no good substitute IMO for hand picking. The beetles have a defense mechanism of simply dropping when a hand or predetor approaches. You can hold a cup of alcohol under the leaves or branch and the critters will drop right into it when you approach with the other hand from above. Keep the faith, these pesky beasts are only active for two or three weeks, so give a vigilant effort for that period and you will be through with 98% of them until next year.

Luvasiamese2

Thank you hendi_alex for your information. Placing the traps somewhere other than where the affected plants are, makes a good deal of sense. I wasn't sure if the attractant would be strong enough to pull them out of the plants they were in and toward the trap. There is a fence across the back of my yard and I could easily hang a trap or two on the fence. Any idea how far the attractant will work? I guess I mean, how far away can I place the trap/traps and still have it be effective for a particular area? I am glad to hear that the Japanese beetles are only a problem for a few weeks.... seems like they have been around that long already, and have done quite a bit of damage. Perhaps they are on the way out now. I have noticed that they do fall off the leaves when you go to grab them, but I have plucked my share. I was just getting tired of smooshing them.. lol Having something for them to fall into is another good idea. Thank you so much! :D

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I've seen the traps used in the fields of commercial farmers. Just a few traps placed at fairly wide intervals around the perimeter of a field perhaps 100 acres or larger. The traps contain a pheromone, so am sure it carries quite a distance. That fact gives rise to the most common complaint of attracting the bugs from a mile around your site. But what does that matter? As long as they end up stuck in the traps.

dinker

good job hendi-Alex
when I read about them my thought was you put them in the garden. didnt think about putting it somewhere else :oops:

Luvasiamese2

hendi_alex, after getting your response, I went out to Home Depot and purchased two Japanese beetle traps. As I have flowers and flowering plants in a variety of beds around my home, I opted to place two traps, one in the front yard and one in the back, close to where my property line meets my next door neighbors. My neighbors don't have any plantings at all, and this takes the traps as far as possible from my flowers. Within 5 minutes of hanging the traps, I had already "bagged me a beetle!" lol I am hoping for the best and will keep you posted. Thank you all so much for your help, and thank you hendi_alex. I so appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge with me. 8)

Luvasiamese2

Well I bought my two Japanese Beetle traps, one each for the front and back yard and got them up and operational last night .... OMG!! I probably already have a hundred or so in each bag.... don't really want to get in too close, and you can just watch them fly in. I stood there about 5 minutes this afternoon and saw 7 or 8 fly into one of the bags. It's amazing to me how they can't just fly up and out.

I am not seeing any EXTRA in my yard, although there are some... but then I had some before. They seem to just be flying into the bag. I am pleased so far hendi_alex and thank you for your suggestion. It is a VERY sweet smell.. I can smell it from across the yard, so you know that the bugs aren't having any problems finding it at all.

I do have a few more questions..... such as.. how full can I let the bag get before I have to change to a new bag? and how long does that attractant disc last? and what the heck do you do with the bag full of creepy crawly beetles when it's full? hehehe :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks again hendi_alex!

DefiningYourHome
Newly Registered

I used a Neem Oil mixed with dish liquid and water to spray the foliage of my KO roses this year. It worked better than anything else that I've tried, but still wasn't 100%.

Next year, I'm just going to splurge on a portable vacuum cleaner to get those things...then dump the whole load into soapy water! :D Picking them off by hand takes too long!

Cameron

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”