cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Wow. Thank you so much, Lorax. Maybe I can do a bluebird nestbox and attract them to my yard.

The Cornell site *is* good. I loved the little film of Mom feeding Babies.

Cynthia

Hseofpaine
Newly Registered

TheLorax wrote:Oh oh oh! Don't buy those plans! Hold off spending money. I've got them for that exact bathouse you're looking at. Send me your e-mail address privately and I will forward the plans to you along with photographs of the interior space and completed bathouses and also a photograph of mine mounted. You don't need to spend any money! I've got the plans!
Hi, I just came across this post and wanted to build the same bat house this weekend. Would you think it would work in Illinois? Also would you be willing to send me the plans also?

applestar
Mod

...SEVEN YEARS LATER...

I had installed a bathouse, but perhaps due to most of the area farms already having been sold and turned into developments so that bats were no longer living in the area and already displaced, perhaps due to devastating bat population decline in NJ, my bat house hasn't been doing much except to be used as a beanpole:

I had given up on it ever being occupied and hadn't even inspected it this year.

...BUT...

This morning, DH called after he left the house to say that our next door neighbor had caught his attention in great excitement to have him let me know she found a "baby bat" on her patio umbrella. It turned out she was looking all over for me outside and this was one morning I hadn't gone outside soon after sunup. :roll: I went over and saw the little thing. I couldn't get close enough, but she sent me the photos she took:
image.jpg
When the sun rose over aother neighbor's house, the bat took off, but unfortunately dove into the "fort"/outdoor cat shelter. I'm hoping it will be OK from her outdoor cats and will eventually find its way to my bathouse which is only a short way over the fence and into my yard from where it is now.

Also, tonight, kids and I were outside hoping to see the Perseids Meteor Shower -- we saw a few -- and they said they could see black shadows flitting about.

Now that I know they are around this year, I'm going to check and make sure there are no wasps nest in my bathouse. I hope these other bats would consider checking it out, too.... :-()

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”