TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Which commercially available enzyme product do you use please?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

The brand is "Fountec." It's not safe for mammals or fish, but specifies on the label that it's safe for birds. I have 2 birdbaths, one of which is a huge old cement thing that is impossible for me to keep algae free without the use of something like this. (The other bath is much smaller and lighter weight, and I just scrub it out and refill it every day.) I don't have any mammals that drink from the big birdbath in my back yard, and the birds haven't shown any ill effects from the algaecide. They come in flocks to bathe, 6 to 8 birds in the bath all at the same time! The larger birds -- crows, jays, starlings, evening grosbeaks, robins, etc. -- use the bath in the back yard, while the smaller species, such as finches, use the smaller bath in the front yard. (I've even seen a seagull in the big birdbath a few times!)

My handyman is going to install a solar powered submersible pump in the cement bath soon, which will turn it into a fountain. He's also going to set up a mister in one of my trees in my front yard. It all should be quite lovely! :)

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Thanks for letting me know the brand name.

Does it work on black algae?

The bird bath with the problem is in an area where nothing but birds uses it so I would be ok using this product in that area.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Yes, it does. The label states that the product "helps remove and prevent green, blue-green, yellow, and black type algae in water." I also get red algae in my cement birdbath, and it seems to take care of that quite well, too.

BTW, the label indicates that the liquid is "safe for birds, plants, and animals (not for fish.)" Based on the information on the back of the label, it appears that it is the concentrated liquid that is harmful. In birdbaths and fountains, you use one drop per gallon of water.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Thank you kisal.

mcook27
Newly Registered

I haven't used this but have used other products from this company. They are all natural/organic. The one product I use on a regular basis is the cupboard moth catcher, works great. You might want to try this product from Gardens Alive and then report on it if you wish.

https://www.gardensalive.com/bird-bath-cleaner/p/2369/

Gilla
Newly Registered

I've been cleaning my concrete birdbath for years with vinegar. I just splash in a cup or two, scrub with a stiff brush and that gets most of the muck out. Then I rinse with water from the hose and fill the bath. I do this once a week or whenever it looks like it needs it. Anyone know of any problem with using vinegar? The birds seem to be happy and healthy.

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

I just use the power washer and soap and water. I never really figured I had to keep them spotless seeing how birds drink from mud holes all day long!

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Lots of post so I just scanned through. What is the big issue in the first place? The birds are happy to have water. I see them drinking from mud holes. I have a couple of 24" clay pot saucers set on stumps for bird baths. Because the clay is porous I sprayed the inside with that stuff advertised on TV - the one where they spray a screen door in the bottom of a boat. Both basins are under the live oak tree so lots of leaves fall. I scoop out the leaves and add water daily. Every week or 2 I just scrub them out with a brush and water to get the any mold out. Keeping the leaves out and the containers full seems to help reduce the algae build up. If I am out of town and the basins get low on water there seems to be more build up. The birds are happy. Occasionally I will clean the basins with a mild vinegar/water solution and rinse well. I never use bleach. Too toxic for the birds.

The birds don't seem to mind a little algae in there baths. I think it is more of a human aesthetic issue. A little algae in your bird bath is a non issue for the birds.

Good luck
Don't worry - Be Happy :-()

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”