JPlovesflowers

Attracting Birds to a Garden! Finally!

After 3 years I have seen my first Blue Jay. I'm sure he's not everyone's favorite, but I have enjoyed watching them my whole life and then when we moved to Arkansas...nothing.

I took the advice of another forum poster and starting putting out safflower seed about two weeks ago and since then we have cardinals every day, mourning doves every day(including a new baby who sits in the feeder and doesn't allow the red-wings or the grackles to run him off), and now I've seen the blue jay twice!

Thanks for your helpful input. We planted honeysuckle vines yesterday to try to lure the cardinals in to nest. Daddy cardinal was in the vines inspecting this morning, we'll have to see what happens. We also have a mockingbird who has built a nest in the jasmine vines behind our waterfall....it is a delight to hear and to watch the wildlife God created.

My killer maltese Max (who for the record, has not recognized any wildlife prior to this weekend, as he believes he is just a small fuzzy white human) chased a robin from the front yard yesterday and then chased another robin from his bath in our birdbath this morning. I don't know whether I'm ashamed or just a little proud, I guess shocked is the best description.

What a wonderful time of year, I need to go stock up on seed again at Wal-mart. I wonder when if we could retire several years earlier if I would stop buying bird seed and plants?.....
:lol:

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

Safflower seed is news to me, our Blue Jays completely ignore our safflower feeder (which is fine since it is mostly intended for Cardinals). I've had the best luck getting the Blue Jays to go after cracked corn just tossed out on the ground or on our driveway.

JPlovesflowers

Maine Designer,
I think you were right about the safflowers...I had put some peanuts out that were left over from Christmas baking and when the peanuts were gone the blue jays were gone....took me awhile, but I put 2 and 2 together and came up with 4. I'm off to the store tomorrow to replenish my peanuts....I wonder how much money I could save if I stopped buying sunflower, safflower, thistle seed and now peanuts, and quit buying plants to keep my bird friends happy. Interestingly enough, they fuss at me when I'm in the yard, I can almost hear them saying: "I don't know why she won't leave us alone back here, this is such a nice place, if she would just go away we could really enjoy ourselves"....maybe it's my imagination.... :wink:

Jess
Greener Thumb

JPlovesflowers wrote:Maine Designer,
I Interestingly enough, they fuss at me when I'm in the yard, I can almost hear them saying: "I don't know why she won't leave us alone back here, this is such a nice place, if she would just go away we could really enjoy ourselves"....maybe it's my imagination.... :wink:
LOL!! I get berated by my birds. If, for whatever reason, I forget to put out there favourite food they will join me in the garden chirping at me until I restock!

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”