TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

What is this creepy looking wasp?

What is this creepy looking wasp or hornet bug?

Sorry the pictures aren't too good, the big was skittish and it flew away before I could get better pics.

Never seen anything like this, I hope it's not one of those murder hornets. Maybe hurricane Laura blew this thing up from somewhere....
Attachments
IMG_20200828_092928.jpg
IMG_20200828_092945.jpg

applestar
Mod

Not a hornet — it’s a Cicada Killer wasp. They are basically harmless — unless threatened probably, like don’t try to hold it barehanded.

I see them in my garden every summer. Have had them fly-by so close my hair fluttered. Have mentioned them and probably posted pics.

You need them to help control those massive cicada hatchings. Are you expecting any this year?

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Strange, I couldn't do anything on the forum from my tablet, it said 502 Gateway. Bad tablet! 😡

I never handle bugs I don't trust. Cicada Killer? Oh how sad. I like my cicadas, I hardly see any. I saw one recently emerging from its cocoon, they're so cute! They have a hard time surviving anyway with all the birds around. I think cardinals are particularly fond of cicadas.

applestar
Mod

Cicadas seem to like fruit trees — I have them emerging from roots of most of them — cherry, apple, plum, pear ... possibly also sweetgum Though that’s a little hard to tell ... could also be the oak?

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”