HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

does anyone recognize this bird?

IMG_2363.JPG
IMG_2363.JPG (69.36 KiB) Viewed 18228 times
IMG_2362.JPG
IMG_2362.JPG (41.9 KiB) Viewed 18228 times
This is a woodland creatures resin plant stand that I intend to paint. I don't recognize the bird. I need to know what kind of bird it is in order to get the colors right. It looks drab now but will look nice painted. Do you see the pine cones and the polka dot mushroom? There are more mushrooms on the other side. It's will be a fun little plant stand.

applestar
Mod

The relative size to what I see as a bunny (not adult rabbit) and the upraised short stubby tail make me think Wren.

The stretched neck feels a little wrong, but possibly represent the curiosity of the bird that explores every nook and cranny as it searches for spiders, a favorite food. The feathers tend to be smoothed down, but the ruffled individual feathers could represent the active and excitable nature of the bird.

Here’s a photo of a species called “Winter Wren” — not a common bird here. The patterns on the feathers make them look more like the sculpture?

Winter Wren - eBird
https://ebird.org/species/winwre3

...but you see what I mean about the neck area? So I’m still not 100% about the ID....

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I do see what you mean about the neck area. The rabbit is about 6.5" from bottom of foot to tip of ear. The bird is about 3.75" from tip of beak to tip of tail. The rabbit looks like an adult rabbit but is not so size wise. So it must be out of proportion. That gives me some freedom to do whatever I want, since it is not realistic to begin with. It's whimsical and unique. I think that I will use the colors in that wren picture. Thanks.

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”