TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Re: 2019 Backyard Birds, etc. Wildlife Watching

Awwwwwww, frogs are so cute!! I found two little grey tree frogs on my pepper plants the other day! So cute! Frogs and toads always bring a smile to my face!

applestar
Mod

I have a tiny area that I have designated “Native Wildflower Meadow” — it really isn’t that big — the label is a carry over from when “Native Wildflower Meadow” referred to all of the “Spiral Garden” area. Where I re-located it is approximately Left 1/3 of this picture.

In the spring, it is covered in yellow Golden Alexanders, followed by a couple of Purple Veronica’s and some Garden/Summer Phlox, Monarda, Common and Swamp milkweed, Blue mist flower, and then New England Aster. I’m in the process of encouraging Cardinal flower and Blue Flag Iris to grow here as well.

There are also some native grasses that I let go to seed, and I sometimes toss in non-native annuals like cosmos and zinnia, balsam, etc. But they never manage to re-seed very well with all the competition going on.

In addition, I normally let maybe half dozen or so jewelweed and a dozen or so blue mist flowers grow here, but no more because they are crazy vigorous, and I normally systematically pull and/or mow down all of the extras.

BUT…this year, I lost control of the blue mist and jewelweed, and they jumped the low wire border fence and spread across the entire visible area in the photo, bridging the gap to the stand of milkweed by the pond. I’m currently in the process of smothering a path to the compost tumbler, one section at a time with the yellow plastic sandbox cover that you can sort of see in the photo.

HOWEVER, the unprecedented large mass blooming of the jewelweed and blue mist flowers have been extremely well received by the hummingbirds and the butterflies. :D

Can you see a hummingbird in the above photo?

How about now? :()

— I watched these two zipping back and forth for quite a while yesterday and today ... I took some live-photos but the slow frame speed couldn’t keep up with them. This is a low quality gif but you get the idea :lol:
23D50159-AB85-4EB5-A221-18A63C10FFBB.gif
23D50159-AB85-4EB5-A221-18A63C10FFBB.gif (5.55 MiB) Viewed 24222 times
0B7374D8-BB58-4142-8D57-CAA7A66EEA1E.gif
0B7374D8-BB58-4142-8D57-CAA7A66EEA1E.gif (6.89 MiB) Viewed 24214 times
Hummingbirds dive to dazzle females in a highly synchronized display
https://www.princeton.edu/news/2018/12/ ... ed-display

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

My miniature prince....should I kiss him? :D
Attachments
IMG_20190902_092653.jpg

applestar
Mod

:lol:

applestar
Mod

Day before yesterday, I was looking out of my favorite window from the umpteenth time, and was chuckling at myself, saying, everything looks just the same, why would I expect to see anything else/new... but I did see a male cardinal feeding his black-beaked crest-less brown chick, Common Buckeye Butterfly, a Red Admiral Butterfly, a Black Swallowtail, and a yellow bird that looked a bit like Goldfinch, except it was more like a winter drab male goldfinch color — I think it was some kind of a warbler. Oh, and a large dragonfly, sweeping along the swale/paths along the HaybaleRow and the Spiral Garden, flying between the trellises and plants in the rows and the spiral arc beds (I told it that I expect to see less mosquitoes next time I’m out there ;) )

Then, yesterday, I started with the SW side garden beds (VG beds, etc., figs....) then back yard (Kitchen Garden, pond, etc.) then went around the corner of the house to the NE side (headed for the Spiral Garden, SunflowerHouse, HaybaleRow...) and startled a very large bird in the Arrowwood Vibernum/Alternate Leaf Dogwood shrubbery under my favorite window.

It was clutching something large-ish, which it had accidentally bunched up with some jewelweeds and other weeds I had pulled and left under the shrubs as mulch — weighing it down — and ponderously flapped, but I could see it couldn’t gain sufficient altitude to clear the neighbor’s house across our side yard... nor directly fly over the hawthorn, plum, and mulberry trees... and the massive willow oak to the woods behind the back fence. I had a distinct feeling these thoughts were going through it’s mind.

It changed its original flight path, and as it turned away from the woods (to its right) to fly over my gardens towards the front fence (to its left), I managed to identify it as a hawk — likely red-tailed — but was unable to isolate what it had caught from the bunched up trailing weeds, past it’s tail and the slow strokes of it’s wings.

With the extra runway, it was able to fly up at the shallower angle over the elderberry and the persimmon tree, and rapidly gained altitude as smoothly turned around over our street and flew over the neighbors house, at which point, other trees blocked my view and I couldn’t see it any more nor where it went.

Later, I looked up the weight a red tailed hawk could fly with — up to about 4 Lbs.... so maybe it was a rabbit (eastern cotton tails weigh up to 2.5 Lbs according to a quick search) or it could have been a squirrel. I don’t think it was anything smaller — hopefully not the male cardinal that has been taking care of yet another young fledgling, although he has been in those shrubs often lately.

...DD suggested it might have been a groundHOG — and I had actually noted earlier in the morning that something had gotten into the VG garden and kale had been chomped in the VGD.PSRB (2 foot raised bed so no chance it was a rabbit) ... so it’s possible it had come around to the other side — the shrubbery is where they usually hide — but it would have had to be a young one? ... ah ha! ...HAD to look that up :()
Groundhog - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groundhog
‘red-tailed hawks can take groundhogs at least of up to the size of yearling juveniles’

applestar
Mod

Well, it wasn’t a groundHOG ... or else there is a second one. More signs of munching in the garden today. :?

...but I did see something else that made me happy — a just-eclosed male Monarch, stretching and drying his wings :D

- his empty chrysalis is on lower left of the photo

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Oh, he's gorgeous!!

applestar
Mod

I have been feeling like not enough of the milkweeds are being eaten. It’s possible this is because I haven’t seen mass hatchlings of Milkweed Tussock Moth caterpillars this year — maybe I managed to stomp them out in my zealous efforts to preserve the milkweed as host for the Monarchs....

Regardless, I became concerned that not enough Monarchs have returned to my garden this year... but a quick look around revealed caterpillars on almost every milkweed —

These 5th instar Monarch caterpillars should be able to join the annual southward Cape May Point congregation of Monarch Butterflies that occurs before they fly across the Delaware Bay —sometime around the beginning of October....

applestar
Mod

No more than about 1-1/4 inches long, I’m finding (and hearing) these little First year grey treefrogs everywhere! :D

applestar
Mod

I asked DD2 to rake the first fallen leaves which the green ash is always in a hurry to drop. I glanced out of the window a couple of times to see how she was doing, and both times she was holding her iPod towards the sky, video recording something with look of wonder on her face.

2nd time, I decided to see what she was so fascinated by, and looked out of a window in the same direction, and realized — the dragonfly squadrons are here!

...a couple of previous post about this — and I can relate — they are absolutely fascinating to watch!
(I’ll come back and add to this if DD managed to capture some good images)

Subject: 2018 Backyard Birds, etc. Wildlife Watching
Oct 05, 2018
applestar wrote:I nearly missed it, but there must have been one of those hatching events that attracts dragonfly and swallowtail flyovers yesterday. [...]

After coming inside, I was looking out of the upstairs window and noticed the swallows flying over the house and garden, and then also noted the dragonflies flying mid-level.
[...]

Subject: 2015 Backyard bird and butterfly (and dragonfly too) watching
September, 2015
applestar wrote: I think I posted about one of these before – there was some kind of insect hatching event in my garden again.

The videos I took today were pretty low quality, but, [...]

Here are a couple of stills extracted from the videos (tap/click to enlarge):

[...]
I mentioned about it in 2016, too —
Subject: 2016 Backyard bird and butterfly (and dragonfly too) watchin
applestar wrote:There was a swarming event of dragonflies over our front lawn again yesterday. I only noticed around 10:30 AM and I didn't see very many swallows this time. Not sure if it's because it was earlier this time or because I missed them -- I had to water yesterday and my attention was focused on the ground, so I didn't look up at all until then

[...]
[...]

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

My BFF in CA who recently became a teacher texted me this afternoon and was telling me how much she enjoyed the Science classes and getting to look at some goopey water through a microscope. This got me excited enough to pull down my old microscope I used back in grade school. I hadn't use it in years, I was surprised the bulb came on. As I went down the line of objects I was curious to see through it, using my smartphone I took pics and sent them to my BFF, when she kept asking jokingly if I saw anything moving. I never saw anything strange until I examined a small leaf off my Phoniex tomato plant. The leaf itself was fascinating...the hairs, veins and pores, and a microscopic inhabitant that appeared to be a type of mite or lice. I could not see it with my naked eye, but through the scope it appeared to have eight, fast-moving legs, a translucent body w/ an off white back. When the mite finally stood still, using one of my LED flashlights I shone better light on my subject while snapping pics with my phone, and did a sketch of it's general shape. I haven't Googled for photos yet, I don't know if it's a bird lice, mite or even a larvae of something. Plant lice maybe? :lol:

And for your pleasure, I have attached a close-up of a white Crocus petal. Looks like a bunch of crystals!
Attachments
IMG_20190928_175051.jpg
IMG_20190928_184510.jpg
IMG_20190928_184559.jpg

applestar
Mod

Rice grain-looking ones are usually russet mites. In the attached post, if you follow the link, I mention that the “brown somethings” are likely eggs. Are your tomato plants showing any signs of distress? Unusual dusty look to the stem along the or growing tips? Brown corking on the green fruits?

Subject: 2013-14 WHO'LL BE GROWING WINTER TOMATOES INSIDE THIS YEAR?
applestar wrote: :evil: RUSSET MITES :evil:

...I had my suspicions after lower leaves of some of the plants started to wither, so I finally broke out the kids' "toy" digital microscope. Very old model and lousy quality, but you can see them. :x
60X

200X

...now to go retrieve the license serial number from my old computer so I can use this updated software properly (the trial copy only let me use pixels as measurement unit). The 200X was actually a video clip but flickr only uploaded a photo :? --- guess I'll have to figure that out later.
Subject: identify this tomato disease >> Tomato Russet Mites
applestar wrote:I'm seeing TRM on some of my Winter Indoor Tomatoes :x

But not a severe infestation (yet) -- but some of my plants are losing leaves one by one from the bottom -- only thing is they don't get totally russeted as I would expect but just dry up.

I looked under our (basically a toy) digital microscope and I only see a mite here, a mite there,... On the entire dried up leaf. Not sure what exactly is going on.

If you look at the top right photo, there are brown "something" sprinkled all over. They seem to be covering the entire surface. I tried to get some close ups, but I can't seem to get any good, focused image. :?

applestar
Mod

The garden continues to surprise and entertain :D

I was not feeling well today, and with the persimmons finally dwindling and slowing down, I decided I can let them go one more day (one that is really close and might fall down by tomorrow, but hopefully will hang on and wait for me, and two others that probably weren’t ready even if I had tugged on them today).

But when I was looking out of the window as the light was fading near sunset, I saw a large-ish bird land on the fence — a raptor for sure, but what? It was intently peering at the base of the fence and tried hopping on various perches while listening and looking. I know that yesterday when I was out there looking for ripe persimmons, something had squeaked continuously as it made it’s way along the base of the fence — most likely a mole or a vole. They usually have a run along there.

The window was closed and blinds were gapped but down, and I couldn’t disturb the blinds which may have startled the bird, so the shots I got were pretty blurry, but I picked out and outlined in red the best three out of them to compare with reference random photos of Peregrine Falcons and one photo above them from a regional wildlife preserve (so they are in this area).

— would you agree with my identification of Peregrine Falcon? I am not confident since this is really the first time I’ve seen a wild one, not in zoo or wildlife rescue.

applestar
Mod

I’m noticing the barred tailfeathers!

...I tried the same collage with Sharp Shinned Hawk images ...and left that one Peregrine Falcon photo on top-right:

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

My tomato seems to be quite healthy, lush and green. No dried up leaves and no webbing. I only found this mite under my microscope when looking at a leaf for pleasure. Unless, of course, my plant was only recently found by the mites and no severe infestation yet. I will keep my eye on my plant to make sure.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

My 'pet' spider! I believe they're called Garden spiders or Zig Zag spiders because of the pattern they make in the middle of their web. He is now residing over my tomato plant. I just hope a hummingbird doesn't get too close......
Attachments
IMG_20191001_093527.jpg

applestar
Mod

This is the time of the year when migrants drop in and I’m trying to recall if I know the ID or if it’s a new-to-me bird.

I saw and heard one today that required some research even though I was sure I had seen one before in previous years — it was an Eastern Phoebe. :D

Resident Carolina Wren has been protesting the drop-in’s with his challenge call, and he has been more active flying hither and thither.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Phoebes and Wrens. You just named the two most hated birds in my yard. They want to build their nests right around on or near the house and Phoebes are horrible about sitting on stuff and messing on the porches and plants. Give me Doves anytime.

applestar
Mod

Haha — difference in perspective I guess? I set up House Wren sized bird houses and slightly larger hole Carolina Wren/Chickadee houses just outside the family room windows so we can watch them — sooo cute when the chicks grow enough to start peeking out of the entrance hole. The birdhouse on the fence on the NE side is in direct view from my favorite upstairs garden watching window, and I trim all the shrubs so I can have clear view. :wink:

House Wrens can be bold, but Carolina Wrens are timid. However, they do both challenge strangers and have been good “watch” birds as far as letting me know when there are stray cats wandering around inside the backyard fence. I wish they were as responsive about groundHOGs.... I’ve seen them calling in alarm and following the snake around as it slithered in the grass and weeds, and have even seen them swooping and pecking at chipmunks.

I guess my garden is only a waystation for phoebes — they never stay long and I don’t even always see them in spring or fall.

Doves around here are Mourning Doves — they nest in the shrubs and gate arbor trellis/vines, in the weeping cherry tree, etc. but they are not as interesting to watch and their nests are so ridiculously slap-dash that they are kind of pitiful. Robins use similar locations so I prefer robins to doves.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

My Grandmother has a bluebird house, and I will heard how the Chickadees and Bluebirds will squabble over it. Usually the Chickadees will use it first, and Bluebirds afterwards. No other birds use it except for those two pairs.

At my house I don't bother with bird feeders or houses out of fear of drawing snakes to eat the eggs or baby birds; or drawing raccoons to want to eat the bird seed. However, I still get to enjoy birds anyway. Cardinals are probably the most abundant along with Chickadees, Mockingbirds, Doves and the occasional Bluejay or Titmouse. This summer, I've had the pleasure of hearing a sweet sounding screech owl in the distance. On VERY rare occasion I will hear a whippoorwill after dark.

Large flocks of Robins will waunder about my yard on rare occasion during the wintertime hunting for insects. And each year during the autumn-winter months, the town will be plagued by the huge flock of noisy starlings.
Birds such as Grosbeaks and Indigo Buntings are a very rare sight in this area as well as the large and beautiful Pileated Woodpecker.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

This makes like the second or third time I've had to rescue my yet unkissed prince from my garden-trash bag. He likes to hide down in there, but the last thing I'd want to do is accidently send a frog to the trash pile. So this time I wadded the bag closed. He'll just have to hide elsewhere.
Attachments
IMG_20191016_123247.jpg

applestar
Mod

Yesterday, DD alerted me to seeing a very large bristly black caterpillar on the garage door. I went to look and take some photos. I don’t think I would have noticed what appeared to be “brown” lines on the body, between the bristles, but she insisted I move closer right under it so I could see. Since she is taller, I had her hold my iPhone up close to take some photos.

I found the opportunity to look it up — I knew it had to be a large moth of some kind — and to my delight, it is a Giant Leopard Moth caterpillar. I have seen this moth once before further north in NJ where the environment is more wooded and hilly. Gorgeous! I hope this one finds a safe place to overwinter.

https://owlcation.com/stem/Black-Caterp ... tification
Giant Leopard Moth (Hypercompe scribonia)
This is a large, black, spiny caterpillar. The spines are very sharp and stiff, almost like needles. When it feels threatened, the caterpillar rolls itself up into a ball with the spines sticking out. It also shows bright crimson bands between its body segments. [...]

These beautiful moths, which are large and strikingly marked with black circles and iridescent blue spots, overwinter as full-grown caterpillars, usually under rocks, where you may find them curled up in the middle of winter. In the spring, they spin a cocoon from which the adults emerge in the summer.

[...]
Can you raise it to an adult? No, due to its overwintering habits.
...Most likely, it had crawled up on the garage door to molt — the colors on the caterpillar was very fresh-looking — this is probably the final instar.

~~~~~

While I was posting, it occurred to me that I had mentioned this moth “recently” — look what I found. I’m thinking this caterpillar might be a descendant :D

Subject: 2017 Backyard Birds, etc. wildlife watching
Aug 20, 2017
applestar wrote:I think this is Giant Leopard Moth -- I don't see them very often. It was on a bamboo branch I grabbed to make a support for a pepper plant. I though it was dead but it started to move a little after a while. But maybe it has completed its biological imperative and didn't have much longer to live? I clipped off the portion it was on and put it back in a weedy patch away from the sun.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Lol, don't cha just love frogs! They always put a smile on my face! :D

These two guys....or girls...or guy and girl... were outside under the carport yesterday morning.
Attachments
IMG_20191106_093734.jpg
IMG_20191106_093627.jpg

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Last night I was enjoying my Lion King movie and doing a little drawing when all of a sudden I KNOW I heard the deep hooting of a Great Horned owl! I paused the TV, snuck over to the window and cracked it open. I crouched down and listened for the longest time with freezing cold air blowing on my face. To my despair, I never heard the owl again. I must have frightened it somehow. My luck. :(

applestar
Mod

A while ago, I heard a Great Horn Owl hooting in the middle of the night and just HAPPENED to grab an old D-cell maglight (incandescent bulb) to light my way to the window. To my extreme amusement, EVERY TIME I turned on that flashlight and pointed it out of the window, the owl would hoot again. AND that set off a second owl somewhere further away. It wouldn’t call again when I turned off the flash light.

I couldn’t tell where exactly it was, but this worked every single time, until *I* got cold and bored — so assume I was standing there doing this for about half an hour. :>

It was crazy funny to wonder what was going on in that owl’s head. :D

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Lol, my owl must have just freaked and flew away when it saw the light of the open window. That's the way it goes for me. Owls are a rare thing to see or hear around here as well as eagles, whipporwhils and Pileated woodpeckers. I feel sorry for them because there's been so many trees cut over the years. Thankfully many are growing back, but it's sad to think of the countless nests that could've been destroyed.

applestar
Mod

There was a HUGE commotion outside this weekend. There were White throated sparrows and Juncos everywhere — these are the birds that migrate south to this area for the winter — ALL trying to find shallow enough edge along the pond to bathe. Not only that but there were some robins, too, scattering the smaller birds aside to bathe. Robins could jump in deeper than the short-legged new arrivals from the north.

I’m not sure if the robins were local birds that hadn’t left yet, or were just passing through on their way south.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

The birds seem to be very active this morning. Wrens and yellow/brownish finch looking little birds were rummaging about in the leaves and bushes. Eastern Bluebirds were playing in the gutters(one had his fuzzy blue rear sticking out of the gutter, lol!) and the nasty Phoebes were doing something underneath the carport. The wrens, phoebes and bluebirds seemed to be nest-spot hunting, which doesn't make since this time if year. I do hope the dumb Bluebirds do not build their nests the gutter. The last time that happened I found a drowned baby bluebird in my rainbucket. If only birds were smart......

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

The robins are here! :D

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”