HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Yellow Garden Spider

My friend took these spider pictures. I am amazed by the web making skills. The egg sack is huge. "Yellow Garden Spider" is the name for this type of spider. These pics were taken in the Summer. I need to ask her if they hatched yet. I think the web is so beautiful. The male weaves the zig-zag reinforcement. They hang out on the zig-zag so it must be for extra strength.
Yellow Garden Spider webmaking skills
Yellow Garden Spider webmaking skills
IMG_1931.JPG (40.14 KiB) Viewed 19377 times
IMG_1930.JPG
IMG_1930.JPG (37.15 KiB) Viewed 19377 times
Last edited by HoneyBerry on Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

webmaster
Site Admin

Wow, that's very beautiful.
Where in the USA is that from? Looks like something one would find in the South.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Western Washington is where that spider lives. My friend had horses and they like the natural vegetation. I have never seen a Yellow Garden Spider like until now. I have only seen the pictures so far. I guess it's a big spider. My friend doesn't like spiders but I love this spider so she said she will bring all the baby spiders to my place when they hatch. I'm not sure if hatch is the right word. Fledge perhaps? That's what baby birds do. But what do baby spiders do? I love the zig-zag web!

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I searched online 'Yellow Garden Spider' and found lots of pictures and information. I can't believe a spider like this lives in Western Washington.

applestar
Mod

We have those here in NJ too. I found post and photo from August in 2014
Subject: 2014Backyard bird and butterfly (and dragonfly too) watching
applestar wrote:This spider was guarding the back doorframe above the faucet. I think it could be one of the yellow mass hatched spider babies?

...later in the month, I added to this post...

ETA -- Now that I'm seeing the fully grown Yellow and Black Garden Spiders around, the markings are distinctive enough to think this one is too. I guess the black color of its markings (and legs) start out brown and darken more as they mature.

...and these are the baby spiders being referenced, from May 21st of the same year.
Subject: 2014Backyard bird and butterfly (and dragonfly too) watching
applestar wrote:We had another hatching event -- this time, on this Whorled Milkweed. At first I thought it was an invasion of yellow milkweed aphids, and I was getting ready to sacrifice the entire floral cluster.... But when I looked closer I realized these are baby spiders :D

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

applestar: Thank you! I will show-and-tell your post to my friend.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

When I lived in Illinois everyone called those spiders, zipper spiders. People in TN call them zipper spiders too because the web looks like a zipper. I had 3 zipper spiders in my garden this year 2018 I always leave them along they eat bugs. Online calls them Argiope spiders.
Attachments
argiope-spider-.jpeg
argiope-spider-.jpeg (21.07 KiB) Viewed 19238 times

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Great photo Gary. Zipper spider is a good name for it. I haven't seen a real one yet, just pictures. The zig-zag 'zipper' web amazes me.

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”