JPlovesflowers

Hummers

Wish I had known, we went to the Grand Canyon and Sedona for 8 days last year...absolutely spectacular time, and we would definitely have driven down to see the Patton's had we known about them. We may have to make another trip. I love Arizona, my friend from VA, who went with us, said we might as well have gone to Mars, it was so different from the East Coast. Maybe the best vacation ever....our next big one will be to Jackson Hole, I hope. We go see God's creation, while everyone else is on their way to the beach, yet again. So far our favorites have been Grand Canyon, (we went to North Rim, South Rim, West Rim and down in to ride on the Colorado River) Sequoia National Forest (absolutely amazing), Niagara Falls (another wonder) and up and down both East and West coasts almost all the way....I was born in California and my parents used to take us to Yosemite to camp. I would love to visit there with my husband as well. I'm rambling, as usual, I get caught up in the moment. :D

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Yes, that entire area is like being in an entirely different world.

You will like Jackson Hole very much. Interesting town and it's minutes from the entrance to the Grand Teton National Park which we happen to like better than Yellowstone. We hooked up with a few state biologists and ornithologists and had a blast. I think the hike to Hidden Falls and Inspiration Point was great. A tad bit strenuous if one isn't used to hiking though as that would fall in the day trek category. I think there's a shuttle boat that will cut your hike in half that crosses Jenny Lake which lots of people take. We saw more wildlife in the 5-6 days we spent in the Grand Teton Natl Park than we did in 10+ days at Yellowstone Natl Park. Both are great parks but for different reasons. Considerably more wildlife and Eagles all over the place at Grand Teton. Man oh man are eagle nests large!

Love the Grand Canyon, loved Sequoia and Kings Canyon, but Niagara Falls didn't quite do it for us.

Here are a few more for you to consider that are phenomenal-
-Shawnee National Forest in Illinois
-Glacier National Park in Montana
-Cimarron Canyon State Park in New Mexico
-Silver Lake State Park in Vermont has the Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller National Historic Park
-Wharton National Forest in New Jersey and the Batsto Natural area is the highlight

We're going to try to get to Acadia Natl Park in Maine this year. Really excited about that.

PLANTQUEEN

:? Three years of hummingbird feeders, red flowers and no Hummers. This year planted a 10 X 10 butterfly-hummingbird garden and put a shepherd hook with a hummer feeder smack dab in the middle of it. Now lets see if they come. I'm losing all hope.

Irie

I use a 4:1 ratio in my feeder and have never been without any hummers. They actually started showing up before I had gotten my feeder out so now I put it out in mid March. They usually are around until late October or early November so I get a long season with them. We live in a subdivision with a lot of trees and I'm sure there are plenty of insects for them to eat around here plus I have many flowers for them so we get to enjoy seeing them daily. My feeder is right outside my screened in back porch where my cats have a cat door to go out on the porch - the hummingbirds actually hover down in front of the cats and stay there for a little while - almost like they are teasing the cats. They still amaze me every time I see them.

PLANTQUEEN

Hi there-thanks for replying. I put my feeder out in April since NY doesn't really get warm until may or june, I never bothered to put the feeder out any earlier. I have a nicely wooded backyard with tons of other birds, orioles, finches, woodpeckers etc. I'm still trying for the hummers. Will let you know if I get any this season. 8)

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”