TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Hummers- my feeder goes out today

I've been putting out a hummingbird feeder for several years now. I generally stick it out there around tax time. Somebody told me that was a good time to put up a feeder for my area for any birds migrating north that might arrive early. Never had any visitors for at least five years. From late spring to early fall, they could be seen darting around my yard from time to time. In fall after the leaves dropped, their tiny nests became visible in many trees so I knew there were many in the area and religiously put up a feeder. I had a neighbor who said she was getting so many hummers she had to buy more feeders. I was jealous of her being as how I'd been putting out a feeder for so many years with no visitors. Last year one appeared early in the season and came back regularly. I was in shock, I literally jumped into the kitchen sink to plaster my nose to the window to make sure I wasn't seeing things. Within a month, I had quite a few here and they stayed throughout the summer. They're territorial little buggers so I bought another hummingbird feeder. They were well worth the long wait as we truly enjoy them.

I used a 1:3 ratio of sugar water in my feeder last year. Found this which looks interesting-
https://www.hummingbirds.net/hainsworth.html
Might change my ratios throughout the season based on the above.

For those who have feeders, what ratios are you using please?

doccat5
Green Thumb

I found this recipe on line

ere's the recipe for artificial nectar (syrup):

Use one part ordinary white cane sugar to four parts water.

It's not necessary to boil the water. The microorganisms that cause fermentation don't come from the water; they are transported to the feeder on hummingbird bills.

Store unused syrup in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.

This mixture approximates the average sucrose content (about 21%) of the flowers favored by North American hummingbirds, without being so sweet it attracts too many insects.

Garden Spider
Cool Member

I'm actually taking in my hummingbird feeders now. There are enough plants in bloom in my garden right now to feed them, noteably the Rosemary, Red Flowering Current, and Tall Oregon Grape. I put the feeders out only in winter, to feed the winter resident Anna's Hummingbirds. My goal is to have flowering plants all winter long that will feed the Hummers.

When I do put feeders out, I use a 1 part sugar to 4 parts water, and I do boil it. There are bacteria and mold spores on the inside of the feeder, and the tap water is not sterile. I think boiling delays the spoilage.

Barb

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

I share some of your concerns about spoilage. I don't know if you're aware of this but there are glass feeders out there that can be run through one's dishwasher. My dishwasher heats up to 180° F which is a help. I also boil my sugar water.

I'll probably always offer feeders. I work at planting species that support native fauna but too many of my neighbors are exclusively into non-native ornamentals.

native

I would love to put up feeders, is there anything other then sugar that has some nutritional value to put in the feeders.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Not that I could find. I realize that natural sources of food are disappearing for hummers and went out specifically looking for information recommending something other than sugar and came up empty handed. If you should find anything suggesting otherwise, please share your findings. I'd be most appreciative.

NEWisc

Don't forget that another idea for a hummingbird "feeder" is an insect smorgasbord: :D

"Meeting the food requirements of the rubythroated hummingbird is the greatest secret to attracting them. Despite common belief, hummingbirds are not strictly nectar feeders. Insects and other invertebrates are the primary source of protein for adult hummingbirds and their young. An adult female can consume up to 2,000 insects per day. Small invertebrates including mosquitoes, gnats, small bees, fruit flies, spiders, caterpillars, aphids, and insect eggs make up a portion of the hummingbird’s diet.

In natural settings, insects are attracted to “weedy patchesâ€
Last edited by NEWisc on Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

That's a very nice site.

Bignonia capreolata is a vine I've been considering for the north side of my property. I noticed it listed as a preferred species.

I found a useful tip-
Feeders should be spaced 10-15 feet apart. When you see more than four birds using a single feeder, or when you see a male chasing off other males, add another feeder. As you keep adding feeders, you may be surprised at the number of hummingbirds you attract.
I have noticed hummingbirds zinging around the Impatiens capensis which is growing near our wetlands. I assumed they were interested in the nectar but maybe not.
Ruby-throated hummingbirds are primarily a woodland species and require some woodland component nearby to fulfill their habitat requirements...Wetlands, ponds, and streams, can enhance hummingbird habitat due to the greater insect abundance in some of these areas.

doccat5
Green Thumb

I notice the hummers love my ROS which are deep purple as well as white, the hummers don't seem to care on that. They do like the red roses of all things. But at this point I have no feeders, just bought my first one this year and a crook to hang it on. This should be interesting.

Garden Spider
Cool Member

native wrote:I would love to put up feeders, is there anything other then sugar that has some nutritional value to put in the feeders.
I wondered about this, but flower nectar is composed of sugar and water, the same thing we're making for them. It seems to be an energy source, which they need for their high metabolism, rather than a source of nutrition. Hummingbirds eat a lot of insects, which is probably where they get their vitamins and minerals.

Garden Spider
Cool Member

TheLorax wrote:I share some of your concerns about spoilage. I don't know if you're aware of this but there are glass feeders out there that can be run through one's dishwasher. My dishwasher heats up to 180° F which is a help. I also boil my sugar water.

I'll probably always offer feeders. I work at planting species that support native fauna but too many of my neighbors are exclusively into non-native ornamentals.
Dishwashing would be my preferred choice for cleaning a hummingbird feeder. Ufortunately, my feeder is not dishwasher safe (it's plastic). I'll keep using it, and continue boiling the sugar solution, and cleaning it thoroughly with hot water between changes of solution. I think the mold and bacteria just get into the feeder when it's hung outside, and there's nothing that can be done about that.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

So you just bought your very first feeder, congratulations! I hope you don't have to wait as long as I did before you get your first visitors.

I've been poking around online and ran across a style called a humzinger or something similar to that. Looks as if that is the brand of hummingbird feeder that is preferred. It has a unique design to it and has quite a few ports. I think the feeders here only have 4 ports per feeder. Mine seem fine with only 4 ports however there were a few times that I had more hummers than ports. I'm pretty sure I received a humzinger as a gift last year and set it aside because of the oddball alien space ship shape. Oops, time to go digging.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

My mother has four of them up and it was so fun to watch the birds buzz in and sip the nectar, and finches and other birds to.

Toms92gp

I put mine up about 5 days ago. I saw one at it a this morning. Last year I had so many coming to my feeder I had to fill it up about every day, I think I'm going to buy a second feeder this year. I got a patch in my yard that I planted wildflower seeds in that I'm just going to let grow over and be weedy.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Oh you lucky duck you! Still no sign of any hummers here for me and my feeders have been up for around 2 weeks!

lilyfantn
Newly Registered

Where do you live Lorax? I just saw my first one at the feeder yesterday evening. I live in the very NE tip of Tn. at an elevation of about 1,500 feet so we get them a little later than the lower elevations north of us do. Even so, this is the latest I have seen my first hummer of the season. I have seen migrators even as early as March in the past. It may be that the times I have looked and the times they are there just didn't coincide this year though. Here is one from last summer. (hope I did this picture posting thing correctly)

[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll267/lilyfantn/DSC_01194.jpg[/img]

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

That is a spectacular photograph! Magnificent! How'd you do that?

I'm about 500 miles north of you in the Great Lakes Region. They're coming, I can just feel it in my bones. Just changed my sugar water again. Temps have only been in the 40's but I don't want to risk them showing up only to find spoiled sugar water.

lilyfantn
Newly Registered

Thanks Lorax - I have a camera that makes good pictures really easy as I am very technology resistant lol. I have a Nikon D70 (which they don't make anymore - I think the D80 took its place) and I experimented last summer with shutter speeds. I found that using a fast shutter speed really helps with hummer pics. I also found out I can still use autofocus and monkey around with other settings - YAY! It really helps that hummers are fearless around humans. I can set my camera up on a tripod and after a few nervous minutes of checking me out its business as usual at the feeders and flowers.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Ohhhhhhhh, a Nikon D70. I wanted one of those really bad but they were too expensive for me to go romping around with. I have a Canon of some sort. I have never taken a photo as nice as what you took above with my Canon.

The tripod makes sense. Lots of people who get those crisp images like what you took use tripods.

I know what you mean about hummers. I sit out on the stoop and they are oblivious.

Toms92gp

https://www.hummingbirds.net/ Since this is a hummingbird thread I figured I would post this link. I found this last year when I was looking for tips about attracting humming birds. They have a migration map on there too that gives you a general idea of when they first show up in your area.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

That is a very nice site.

Last year we were visited by a Broad Billed. He hung out in front mostly. Haven't seen him since last year but hoping he remembers we're here.

Two days ago my Dad saw a Ruby Throated. Wish I had seen it. Today I saw both a male and a female Rufous. Theeeeeeeeeeeey're Baaaaaaaaaack!

JPlovesflowers

I too am still waiting for them. My dad, who lives in Louisiana (deep south) and has tons of hummers each year, told me to put my feeders out early and they would come. I did, and they did come while it was cold (40's and 50's in the daytime and freezing or lower every night, and then they stopped coming, I'm wondering if it's because my carolina jasmine stopped blooming. Anyway, I haven't been seeing hummers, but the house finches are draining my feeders each week, which allows me to keep them very fresh. I'm waiting for my blue salvia to bloom, that seems to draw the hummers like flies each year....hopefully they'll be back. I had a friend in Va. who used to use red Kool-Aid for her feeders and had dozens of hummers all the time. I guess it's very similar to the sugar water that you make.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Yes! The finches are draining my feeders too! What's up with that?

I've been being visited by a female Bobolink. No male to be seen anywhere but BirdLover72 was over here this morning with her binoculars and she spotted the Bobolink eating the safflower seed. That bird isn't all that common. This morning, the two of us spotted almost 20 different species of birds out in my yard. Later on this afternoon while I was turning my compost, I spotted both of the Rufous hummers again. Looks as if they're here to stay. Haven't seen the Ruby Throated my Dad saw recently so that one might have been passing through. Still hoping the Broad Billed hummers show up this year.

Have never tried red kool aid. Will probably stick to plain sugar water though.

JPlovesflowers

Had to google the bobolink, how cool! My friend had an oriole visit the other day, I'm going to put my oranges and jelly back out and try my luck again...we'll see what happens. I have a family of baby finches that are learning to bathe on my birdbath outside my kitchen window. They are so much fun to watch. We had a bunch of folks over for dinner Tuesday night and now everyone wants birdbaths outside of their kitchens so they can watch the show. Here is a cool link on hummers you should all enjoy:
https://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0701/feature4/multimedia.html
Can't wait to show my husband in the morning. He is the real bird enthusiast...I do all I can to attract them as I enjoy them, but he is just happy as can be to sit outside in silence and watch them all day long. We had a scissor-tailed flycatcher on the fence behind our house today...they are so cool to watch. :D
JP

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Awesome!

Can't believe the photographer caught the flower mites on that Fiery Throated Hummer.

Have never seen a hummer take a dive into water like that Purple Crowned did. That was spectacular. Come to think of it, didn't realize there was a Hummer so small it could take a bath in the water of a leaf. Seriously had no idea the Scintillant weighed less than a penny.

The sound effects on the Bumblebee Hummer was like nothing I've heard before.

Didn't know such a species as the Marvelous Spatuletail existed.

Other than the Violet-Capped Hummer down in AZ, I've never seen any of those hummers.

Time to go forward this link to a bunch of friends!

You found a treasure! Excellent video footage.

JPlovesflowers

Yeah, I loved it too, my husband is going to go nuts when he sees it. I think the bumblebee hummer was the coolest because of the sounds and isn't he the one who had the thing on his throat that moved up and down? The spatule tail was amazing, I would go nuts if I saw any of those. My husband saw a show when he was out of town about hummers. Evidently some guy has thousands of them that come to his yard every year during migration. He fills his feeders by the gallons several times a day. I've been trying to find the footage. My husband thought it was National geographic, but I couldn't find it there or on Discovery channel. I'm going to have to ask him again in the morning. If I find the link I'll post it.
JP

JPlovesflowers

Yeah, I loved it too, my husband is going to go nuts when he sees it. I think the bumblebee hummer was the coolest because of the sounds and isn't he the one who had the thing on his throat that moved up and down? The spatule tail was amazing, I would go nuts if I saw any of those. My husband saw a show when he was out of town about hummers. Evidently some guy has thousands of them that come to his yard every year during migration. He fills his feeders by the gallons several times a day. I've been trying to find the footage. My husband thought it was National geographic, but I couldn't find it there or on Discovery channel. I'm going to have to ask him again in the morning. If I find the link I'll post it.
JP

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

My husband saw a show when he was out of town about hummers.
I've been there in person. It's not just hummers though but it is where I first saw the Violet Capped Hummer. I think I also saw that particular Hummer in the Sonora Desert though too. I know where the "show" is that your husband saw on tve and you can visit if yourself if you'd like. I have friends who had visited before me and they suggested we be gracious visitors by bringing a bag of quality seed. We brought a few bags of quality seed and also left money simply because there were so many who we knew who had gone before us that we knew we were in for a treat that money couldn't buy. These people do great work. The family truly asks for nothing when opening their property up to native fauna lovers. On any given day you will see some of the rarest of rare birds. Truly phenomenal and you will frequently find yourself holding your breath out of fear you will spook the birds but they're used to the family being out and about and pay little or no mind to you. The property is located in the Patagonia-Sonoita Creek Preserve in AZ. The Patton Family is undeniably in a league of their own.

JPlovesflowers

Okay, my husband says the video was from New Mexico and I found it on YouTube this morning. Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/user/cmrsf1
He says the guy uses 14 gallons of nectar a day....too cool. Enjoy the show.
JP :D

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Ohhhhhhhhhh my gaaaaaaaawd! Your husband found another birding hot spot! 14 gallons of nectar a day! Can you imagine the number of hummers they have visiting them daily to go through that many gallons? And that family refers to themselves as Home & Garden Plus! I have never seen so many hummingbirds all at once! Yet another goodie to e-mail friends a link to!

Oddly enough, we were just in New Mexico for a few weeks this past January. I specifically asked around for any birding opportunities because my husband loves birds and not one person even mentioned those people. Would have been too early for us but we were in the Tahoe area which is really a hop skip and a jump.

If you and your husband are into birds... and if you ever plan to go to southern AZ... you will love visiting the Pattons. Not too many people make it back by them but those who do by word of mouth are welcomed. You two would find such a feast for the eyes that you would be there for hours and hours and planning to come back another year. We're taking our kids back next spring. The Sonora Desert in spring is magnificent.

Back outside to play in the dirt.

Say, what else you got up your sleeve JPlovesflowers!

JPlovesflowers

Wish I had known, we went to the Grand Canyon and Sedona for 8 days last year...absolutely spectacular time, and we would definitely have driven down to see the Patton's had we known about them. We may have to make another trip. I love Arizona, my friend from VA, who went with us, said we might as well have gone to Mars, it was so different from the East Coast. Maybe the best vacation ever....our next big one will be to Jackson Hole, I hope. We go see God's creation, while everyone else is on their way to the beach, yet again. So far our favorites have been Grand Canyon, (we went to North Rim, South Rim, West Rim and down in to ride on the Colorado River) Sequoia National Forest (absolutely amazing), Niagara Falls (another wonder) and up and down both East and West coasts almost all the way....I was born in California and my parents used to take us to Yosemite to camp. I would love to visit there with my husband as well. I'm rambling, as usual, I get caught up in the moment. :D

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Yes, that entire area is like being in an entirely different world.

You will like Jackson Hole very much. Interesting town and it's minutes from the entrance to the Grand Teton National Park which we happen to like better than Yellowstone. We hooked up with a few state biologists and ornithologists and had a blast. I think the hike to Hidden Falls and Inspiration Point was great. A tad bit strenuous if one isn't used to hiking though as that would fall in the day trek category. I think there's a shuttle boat that will cut your hike in half that crosses Jenny Lake which lots of people take. We saw more wildlife in the 5-6 days we spent in the Grand Teton Natl Park than we did in 10+ days at Yellowstone Natl Park. Both are great parks but for different reasons. Considerably more wildlife and Eagles all over the place at Grand Teton. Man oh man are eagle nests large!

Love the Grand Canyon, loved Sequoia and Kings Canyon, but Niagara Falls didn't quite do it for us.

Here are a few more for you to consider that are phenomenal-
-Shawnee National Forest in Illinois
-Glacier National Park in Montana
-Cimarron Canyon State Park in New Mexico
-Silver Lake State Park in Vermont has the Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller National Historic Park
-Wharton National Forest in New Jersey and the Batsto Natural area is the highlight

We're going to try to get to Acadia Natl Park in Maine this year. Really excited about that.

PLANTQUEEN

:? Three years of hummingbird feeders, red flowers and no Hummers. This year planted a 10 X 10 butterfly-hummingbird garden and put a shepherd hook with a hummer feeder smack dab in the middle of it. Now lets see if they come. I'm losing all hope.

Irie

I use a 4:1 ratio in my feeder and have never been without any hummers. They actually started showing up before I had gotten my feeder out so now I put it out in mid March. They usually are around until late October or early November so I get a long season with them. We live in a subdivision with a lot of trees and I'm sure there are plenty of insects for them to eat around here plus I have many flowers for them so we get to enjoy seeing them daily. My feeder is right outside my screened in back porch where my cats have a cat door to go out on the porch - the hummingbirds actually hover down in front of the cats and stay there for a little while - almost like they are teasing the cats. They still amaze me every time I see them.

PLANTQUEEN

Hi there-thanks for replying. I put my feeder out in April since NY doesn't really get warm until may or june, I never bothered to put the feeder out any earlier. I have a nicely wooded backyard with tons of other birds, orioles, finches, woodpeckers etc. I'm still trying for the hummers. Will let you know if I get any this season. 8)

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”