NewjerseyTea

What happened to "my" Cardinal.

For the last few years I've had one nesting pair of Cardinals in my suburban yard. This year I saw them in the driveway. The male was feeding the female but instead of a beautiful red head his was gray. He was bald! Any ideas what the problem is?

Papa2mykids

It isn't uncommon for certain birds to lose head feathers. Cardinals, Blkuejays and grackle are a few.

Orinithologists figure that mites become so severe on the head and birds can't exactly pick them off and scratching is difficult, so the birds do a multiple shed. not only do they lose feathers, but hopefully the mites.

Ron

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Very interesting, thanks Ron!

NewjerseyTea

Thank you Ron, I didn't think I'd get an answer so quickly. I'm so pleased it is probably not a severe problem.

Papa2mykids

Shouldn't be a problem, soon some new feathers will grow in and baldy will be supporting a new do

NewjerseyTea

Just wanted to let you know that the feathers grew back just as Ron suggested and the happy couple are nesting.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Are you able to post photos? This is exciting. Wonder how many babies they'll have.

NewjerseyTea

Sorry Lorax, I still can't post photos. They are nesting deep in the Lonicera sempervirens so they are not visible. I also spoke too soon. My nesting birds are not not bald headed cardinal. He is an immature male who is not the chosen breeding male. Unfortunately his head is only sparsely feathered. It is the other male I thought was him with a new hairdo.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Rats! I always love getting a peek in nests!

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”