TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Our Windows

We all know windows pose a significant threat to birds.

I found this product-
https://www.flap.org/film.htm
It is the transparent and reflective characteristics of glass that cause bird collisions. To eliminate this problem one must make glass visible to birds. It is possible to achieve this without sacrificing the main functions of windows, I.e. to allow natural light in and see the exterior environment from within. A unique window film FLAP dubbed CollidEscape which is presently used for commercial and retail advertising on glass will protect birds and allow you to enjoy the great outdoors from inside.

This film adheres to the exterior surface of a window. Thousands of small perforations in this covering allow ample light to pass through the window to the interior, while substantially reducing the window's exterior reflectivity and transparency, the two characteristics that cause birds to collide with windows

Other advantages include solar reflective features, a decrease in ultraviolet radiation, and the opportunity to observe nature up close (such as birds at a feeding station) without being noticed and disturbing the animal�s activities. CollidEscape can also be used as a substitute for window blinds which will provide privacy during the day, or as a canvas for bright images or advertising messages.
Extremely impressed with the above product and thought others might be impressed too

I have some windows that I've had to tack streamers to in an attempt to break the reflections. I have put up mini blinds that I keep in the down position on many upper windows, particularly those where birds might see daylight through them from another window in the same room. I no longer clean some of my outer windows because the dirtier the windows, the less likely birds are to try to fly through them. Another trick I learned that is very effective is to leave screens up year round. Really reduces the lifespan of the screens though. I still have several semi circle windows that are posing a problem though and was very excited to find the above product.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Very interesting.

JennyC
Green Thumb

Lorax: Here's another reminder of how much smaller the world has gotten with 'net access. It took me forever to figure out why on earth you'd want to take down screen windows and when you would do so. (oh, yeah, cold...) :oops: My windows are often opened in December!

Toms92gp

My windows are usually dirty enough for the birds to see them. Between spending so much time outside and having 2 kids and 2 dogs that smudge them up all the time, they rarely stay clean. So far I've only had 1 bird hit my house, and that was on the siding and I don't why it just flew into the siding. It didn't hurt it to bad I guess since after a min. or 2 on the ground it flew off.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Hey JennyC, that's what I refer to as a senior moment. I have lots of them lately!

Hey Toms92gp, the bird that flew into your siding could have been being chased by a hawk.

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”