pinksand
Greener Thumb

Re: 2017 Backyard Birds, etc. wildlife watching

Wow RBG, that web is beautiful! I feel like all of the spiders I find in my garden are either ugly ground hunters or teeny tiny ones of various shapes and colors that end up on me and I don't notice until they tickle my skin. I've yet to spot an orb weaver at my house :(

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

On the bird feeder today: Magpie, Eu Dove, Starling, House Sparrow, House Finch. On the Sparrows and Finches, there are only a couple coming. Used to get around 40+. I have to wonder what happened to the small birds?

pinksand
Greener Thumb

I think the hummingbirds have officially vacated for the season :(

A few weeks ago I had one zipping around staying within 5 feet from me sipping from my agastache and pineapple sage. Then another female swooped in and they chased each other around me before one perched on a branch right near my eye level. A minute later the other one zoomed in and chased her off. I love seeing them up close, they're such brave little birds!

After that encounter I haven't seen a single one. Each year I seem to have more visiting my garden so I think the word is out and I'm already looking forward to May :)

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”