Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Gardening with this in mind

To do any gardening around here you have to think about these guys:
jav.JPG
javel.JPG
Fencing is the only way. Sometimes when my frig needs to be cleaned out, (pretty often) :roll: I'll toss out some old carrots or whatever. Unusual for only one javelina to come but once in a while there is a lone one. Most of the time they come in herds, maybe a dozen, and sometimes with babies.

The babies are so cute; when the mother moves around they move with her as if attached with a rubber band, it's so funny. :)

imafan26
Mod

Yes, pigs usually stay in the wild areas, but when there isn't enough water they venture closer to homes. Homes built on the edge of scrub land has a lot of visitors as people end up encouraging them by feeding them or they raid garbage cans for food.

Fencing has to be strong as they are rooters and can topple down trees.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wow! I've had a lot of creatures in my various gardens over the years, but I NEVER had to deal with one like that! :shock:

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

rainbowgardener wrote:Wow! I've had a lot of creatures in my various gardens over the years, but I NEVER had to deal with one like that! :shock:
I know, it's crazy. :roll: Here it's not a question of if the javelina will come, it's when will they come. It's not unusual to see herds of them walking down the main street of town in the middle of the night and early morning hours.

They can really injure people's dogs when cornered and a lot of people are afraid of them. But, I just walk out thru the group if I want to go down to the garden; they just scatter. Very poor eyesight, but wonderful sense of smell.

I need to keep my camera handy to get a group photo with babies to post!

Imafan, do you have a similar animal roaming around Hawaii?

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”