NEWisc

Butterfly Photo's

New member here, so I thought I would practice posting a couple of photo's.

Edward's Hairstreak on the yellow version of our local Asclepias tuberosa:
[img]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/northeastwisc/Edwards_Hairstreak.jpg[/img]

The more common orange version of Asclepias tuberosa with Monarch cats:
[img]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/northeastwisc/As_tuberosa_2.jpg[/img]

webmaster
Site Admin

Wow, nice.
:)

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Way cool! I love Milkweed!

NEWisc

Thank you. Posting the photo's turned out to be nice and easy. Butterflies have been a favorite subject of mine the past couple years, so I have a lot of photo's. I'll post some more of my local species in the coming months.

Milkweeds are such a sure thing for Monarchs that I always make room for several species in my yard. Most have nice flowers as well as being butterfly magnets. :D

sososleepy
Newly Registered

WOW, I love your Hairstreaks! I just put Milkweed by my front porch and have all ready enjoyed watching a Monarch lay eggs on it, but I haven't caught anything else using it for nectar yet. I'll slip outside more often now to check it. I did see a tiny hairstreak last weekend, but it zipped away to fast for me to even be sure which one it was. Have you ever found their caterpillars? My butterflies are here: https://butterflies.heuristron.net . I've found about 40 so far. About 30 others reportedly visit or live in my area, but I'm running out of places to look for them.

NEWisc

Thank you; I really enjoy the hairstreaks too. I haven't spotted any of their caterpillars yet. And it seems unlikely that I will since these butterflies use oaks as their host plant. Since most caterpillars prefer young leaves, the caterpillars are probably near the tops of the trees. But if I get lucky I may find some in a small young tree someday.

I took some time to have a look at your website, and was very impressed with your undertaking. I only got a small sample (I'm on dialup and really high quality photo's take a long time to load), but I did enjoy what I saw.

I'm located in northern Wisconsin so the species of butterflies that I have here is quite different from the species that you have in Florida.

We gave a presentation today at the local Master Gardener Volunteer Conference on creating a butterfly garden using all native host and nectar plants. It's quite different from the typical butterfly gardening presentation, and the audience really seemed to enjoy the concept. Especially the part where they were going to be "growing" more butterflies instead of just hoping for visitors!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I live in SW British Columbia and we have among others: Brown Elfin, Spring Azure, Swallowtail Butterflies, Pale Swallowtails, Flatilleries and others. Very nice to watch. My favourite thought are Lorquens Admirals.

Jess
Greener Thumb

Lovely pictures. I too love butterflies/moths in my garden (apart from cabbage whites!) and do what I can to encourage them. It is interesting to see the different species you get compared to UK.

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”