Susan W
Greener Thumb

Garlic chives: pollinator magnet!

I have a number of garlic chive pots around here and there on deck, yard etc. They've gone into bloom (white) and a pollinator magnet! Bees and butterflies love it. The 1st plants left from when I did more fresh cut herbs. After a year or so, I don't use for culinary, though one could. I just keep pots around for the blooms, which are strong now when other flowers may be fading out.

imafan26
Mod

Bees and beneficial insects like most of the herbs when they are in bloom. Onions, basil, fennel, dill, marjoram, mint, borage, thyme. The trick is to keep the herbs in bloom. I let basil bloom (African basil is immune to downy mildew but has a strong camphor taste). Fennel will stay in bloom for a long time. These are the main attraction for insects. I also plant crackerjack marigolds for nematode control as well as for beneficial insects and sunflowers but they only bloom for 10 days.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Lunch time at the garlic chives cafe.
Attachments
IMG_20160829_115959_623.jpg

Susan W
Greener Thumb

A fave for the swallowtails.
Attachments
IMG_20160829_115700_221.jpg

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Yes, I am aware of the regular herbs going into bloom are good for pollinators, especially bees. I just thought I'd share this FWIW. I have more garlic chives than many others, and this time of year know why I keep the pots going! They are relatively care free, sun/shade. not fussy about water, pot/ground. The blooms are my show offs now.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I don't bother planting a patch of garlic chives in my herb bed, because they are all over as weeds! They spread much more than regular chives, as I never see clumps of those around, even though they flower a lot in the spring.

I use them in many salads, where I want some garlic flavor, but don't want to use raw garlic.

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”