Susan W
Greener Thumb

Monarchs & more

Set the stage. I want a friendly urban garden and working towards more plants for myself and others

I start many plants from seed, including the milkweeds both tropical and swamp, sell at the farmers market and always have some for me. It's in this always trying to learn more about monarchs and our other wildlife. The monarchs have captured my interest since I was a kid, so just coming back to it! The more info I have, the better for me, and also share with potential customers and places I may speak. Duh! For me the message is the Monarch is awesome, we all need to do more, and it is the poster child. Have habitat monarch friendly and other bees-butterflies-birds etc will come.

Last week I had the pleasure to talk briefly with a local (newish) garden club in the neighborhood where I do a market, and there are familiar faces. Today went to a workshop on monarch larva tracking. This was from Monarch Joint Venture (MN). I figured some would be repeat for me, and some I am not interested in, but always learning and being with kindred souls.

I did ask the woman about ours showing up now-ish, laying eggs etc. (we did see several cats on our brief walk around the host venue, the botanic gardens) . I've mentioned it here, and got almost deer in headlights! In general the butterflies leave Mexico, mate, stop off in Texas area, lay eggs, die, young ones continue north etc. Then are in MN, upper plains area. The general take has been they emerge as the adult (late summer), go to Mexico. But Apple has them in NJ now, we're just getting them in the mid-south. The young lady tried but acted like no one has asked this before! As she stumbled, bless her heart, thought the south journey ones might stop to fuel/nectar, see pretty green milkweed and change their minds. At which point I commented they nectar, see milkweed, have sexy time and lay eggs? She thought perhaps. I don't think so, no expert.

In short, is this a part of the pattern that hasn't been explored or documented? More questions, no easy answers.

applestar
Mod

Maybe advanced technology is near or already here, when they can tag the butterflies with gps trackers -- wouldn't THAT be cool?

--- I saw in a recent tv show (fiction) in which they secretly sprayed a suspect with some kind of radioactive isotope that could be detected AND TRACKED from satellite LOL

When we went to a Monarch enthusiasts gathering in Cape May Point to observe the fall migration through the Cape May Point "funnel" where they cross the Delaware Bay along the coastal migration route, the butterflies were mating. This was end of September.

First time observing them mating ...I don't see them doing that in my garden ...not right time? Do they instinctively avoid siblings? The guides told us that they often mate here, then fly south, and the laden females will store the sperm (or maybe the fertilized eggs) until ready to lay them.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

That is so interesting, Apple, that being the monarchs mating along that southern journey. Perhaps it is 2 generations going south, more than has been reported? The notion that a female sees some pretty milkweed then tries to find a partner doesn't add up. But if she is fertile, then comes across some MW in field or yard, can lay eggs. She'll go on to monarch heaven, and the emerging butterfly will continue the journey south. Of course a few are too late, and temps drop, don't make it. That happens.

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”