ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Re: 2016 Saving Monarch Butterflies By Raising Caterpillars

I missed that thread. Wow!

I didn't know what OE was so I did a search and found this wonderful site:
https://monarchbutterflygarden.net/commo ... revention/
Good info. There is one parasite I've had problems with that isn't mentioned. It's a fly but it comes out of the chrysalis as an adult.

All this information was not available when I started raising caterpillars. And there was no good interaction with other people who raised caterpillars. I don't think there was as much research going on about Monarchs way back then either. I'm thrilled to see that other people are interested in helping this unique butterfly.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

FWIW, 2 cats worth, I'm on the Monarch butterfly garden e-list. Tony the butterfly guy sends out informative stuff. When I figured out laundry hampers were not working well for the cat houses, ordered a cage from Tony. More than the monarchs, the swallowtails are houdinis when getting ready to pupate! Anyway, got the 15" cube, and he puts in a few of those plastic flower picks. As the population of swallowtails and monarchs was growing, got 4 more cages (free shipping bonus!).

Another source I like is the Texas Butterfly Ranch. Is informative and has good links.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

The 3 that were in J hanging 10 days ago
Attachments
IMG_20160915_071825_116.jpg

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

These guys/gals are growing so fast! All look to be in their final instar and are eating milkweed as fast as I can put it in their habitat. I gave them a large plant this morning. I'll have to go out and look for another plant later. It's up in the high 80's again today.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

New baby! Yesterday while checking a couple of milkweeds (tropical) on the deck, noticed an egg. Seem to have missed a couple of others I thought I remembered seeing. Anyway, brought leaf with egg in, put in the flower pick, on the counter. With aid of a glass, saw the black dot, indicating getting close (it's the black head of cat). (This was pointed out at the workshop I attended a few weeks ago). I kept checking. Well, the tiny cat hatched! (missed The Moment) Within 2 hours had gone back to eat the egg shell, and was working on the leave. Today walking around, grazing and growing.

applestar
Mod

#62 and #63 eclosed today -- both males. :D

--they made their chrysalises on 9/11 so, not surprisingly, they are slowing down since our weather has cooled down some.

...all we have left in the cage are #64 and #65, and they look like they might come out tomorrow.

I have been looking but have not been able to spot where all those outside caterpillars made their chrysalises. Hopefully they are simply well-hidden. I have been seeing at least one Monarch butterfly almost every time I look out the window and when I go outside, so they are eclosing out there.

It may be taking them longer since they are subject to the overnight low temperatures.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

I now have 6 chrysalises in the habitat. I saw one butterfly a few days ago but no others.

I also noticed there are NO milkweed plants at all in the back yard! I had dozens last year. There are not as many plants in the front as there were last year. I wondered if the winter application of ashes to the back were the reason for the die off. But I never applied the ashes to the garden area which was full of milkweed last year but has none now. Then I was watching a video recording of the wildlife in the front and saw rabbits eating the milkweed plants! One sat on the pathway and ate a foot long branch from a milkweed plant in just a few minutes. So now that I know why my plants are vanishing I'll have to save some seeds and fence some plants off so the rabbits won't eat them.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

As of this afternoon we had 6 butterflies eclose and fly off. But my son found the wings of one female laying in a path. We suspect a mantis ate her. It's so very sad but that is the cycle of life. Those Carolina mantids were unseen here until a few years ago so we have been thrilled to have them around.

There is one more chrysalis yet to eclose. It will be several days as it hasn't begun to show any color yet.

applestar
Mod

Sounds like they are pushing their luck. I hope the weather holds. I remember one year we had frost and we kept the eclosed butterflies for a few extra days with Gatorade and wildflowers until it warmed up again.

I found this under a squash leaf while inspecting for squashbugs and stinkbugs :D

Susan W
Greener Thumb

My last monarch that was enclosed eclosed yesterday. We've had some chilly temps, down to low 50's at night, and it took a bit longer than the earlier ones. I had it in the net cage for a few hours, pretty sunny day. By fortune, the g-son (7) stopped by with his Dad, and we let it go. He watched it flutter on up to a big oak and figured it was good to go!

Total I think I had 12 go through the cycle. 2 more didn't eclose right, perhaps OE.

The other day I saw 4 in the yard, well on blooms. They were working them hard, and I'm thinking they were fueling for next leg of trip. That was probably the peak of migrating ones stopping by.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

My last butterfly eclosed yesterday. It was a female. I told her to watch out for cars and have a safe trip. I don't think she'll send me a postcard though.

Now I need to gather my seeds and get my pots ready. I want to have them planted before it gets too cold to work outside. Most milkweed seeds need moist stratification and I want to give them every chance to get what they need.

If any come up I'll have to make sure they are fenced in so the rabbits don't eat them. I had no idea rabbits fed on them so much until I got a wildlife cam set up and saw them in action.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

I know it's now 2017 and the Monarchs are probably still wintering in Mexico but I had to comment on this. I was at a thrift store today and found another butterfly house in the children's toy section. It was only 90 cents! Woohoo! I am excited and anxious to see caterpillars this year.

Also, I did some research about the tropical milkweed, asclepias curvassica. According to my findings it's not toxic itself. The problem is the potential for accumulation of oe protozoa and the lush late season growth. For northern populations it's not that big of a concern. For southern populations it is suggested that cutting the plants down mid-season will reduce the chance of oe infection. Then cutting or removing the plants late in the season will keep the butterflies from staying late and breeding out of season.

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”