Brown Thumbs

Deer repellent reviews

Our place is in the woods and I know deer will hit our small garden later on. I'm contemplating a fence or at least an electric one, but wanted to see if anyone had good or bad reviews on those repellents I've noticed at Walmart (granular or spray). Deer frequent our yard later in the summer and early fall the most. Okra, peppers, Lima beans will probably be tempting! I really don't want to make a fence if this stuff actually works but I had my doubts when saw it.

Peter1142
Green Thumb

A fence is the most reliable deterrent. Even a 4 foot fence will be more reliable than the sprays. Deer are lazy in the summer. The granular deterrents aren't going to do anything, and you won't want to eat anything sprayed with the spray.
Last edited by Peter1142 on Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, the sprays are rotten eggs and other stuff and smell NASTY. And they are made to stick and be long lasting... Not something you want on your food, though I suppose you could try spraying the perimeter.

Brown Thumbs

I was thinking about the pellets if I bought any to try. No, wouldn't want the smell on my fresh veggies.

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”