ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Rabbits

The bane of many gardeners, the common cottontail rabbit. We have had good results just fencing them out or growing plants in containers since the rabbits don't dig under fences or jump up into containers. Since that discovery and our modifications we have lived in harmony with only a few plant losses when we found new rabbit favorite plants. (mine love deadnettle, those plants weren't cheap!) A couple years ago we realized that the area under our deck made a great rabbit nursery. We've since had several rabbits that would come very close to us when we are out in the yard which is pretty amazing. The wild ones even come out and run around near the pen where we let our pet rabbits play.

Yesterday while out near the deck I heard a rustling in the leaves and saw something small and brown run from the deck to behind a flower pot. Chipmunk, I thought at first. Then realized the latest batch of baby bunnies has finally left the nest and are venturing into the great outdoors. We've seen 3 hanging around the deck and playing in the leaves. I'm glad I didn't get last falls leaves raked from the space between the grape vines and the deck because that is now shelter and a playground for the little bunnies.

applestar
Mod

ImageImage

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

That's how I feel right now. I hear them scurrying back under the deck most of the time when I walk out my front door.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

I threatened to shoot and fry the whole lot of them several years ago when I had spent several hours fencing the garden only to find a few babies inside the fence eating my blooming peas to the ground. Since then I added chicken wire to the outside of the chain link. Bunnies stay out and the crops grow well until the groundhogs dig under the fence and devour everything in sight.

This afternoon I watched one baby (just slightly over fist size now) running back and forth along the privacy fence. It wasn't trying to get out since it was very close to the end of the fence. It looked like it was just trying out it's legs and learning to run. They are so clumsy and funny at that age.

applestar
Mod

I'm just like you. I don't mind them running around the yard as long as they stay out of the rabbit-fenced garden beds. I have a few beds that are inadequately fenced and babies and slender young females can get in. I don't even mind sharing with a baby or two. I tell them to stay in our fenced back yard where it is somewhat safer from the neighborhood cats.

I think the pregnant females sometimes nest inside the fenced garden beds partly because they are even more secure. :roll: One year, I had one that figured out she could hop through the 2nd upper hole in the rabbit wire fence, which is designed with narrow openings towards the bottom half to keep rabbits out. She made a nice snug nest for her babies inside one of my vegetable garden beds. Luckily, this bed wasn't planted with anything I couldn't live without.

Another year, I 'SECURELY' protected the blueberries with a bird netting. A rabbit figured out a way to push her way in under the netting where it was bunched together sufficiently to keep out birds so I didn't have it pinned to the ground. -- yes a nice snug nest dug at the base of a blueberry bush. :?

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Bunnies used to be a real problem a couple years back. But my neighbors got rid of 'em somehow :roll: None are left.
I asked them how they did it, but they don't seem to want to answer. Poor bunnies :eek:

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

This year I have had good luck keeping most of the rabbits out using peppers! I cleaned out my pepper pantry, and took all of the hottest ones and made some fine pepper flakes, using my Food Processor...outside, of course. I put these under my shed, and in many of the places that they travel through, and it worked pretty well. Of course, most of us don't have enough peppers to make two gallons of flakes! LOL

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

We watched the 3 playing in the front this morning. When they all ran off there were damp (from the dew) little tiny rabbit foot prints all over the walk. They are getting to be at the irritating stage, where they are wandering away from the nest and setting, eating near all the places I need to walk past. I try not to scare them too much so I find something to do in another part of the yard.

I'm glad they are too big for the garter snake. They wouldn't last long because it hangs out in the same area.

MOFishin

The rabbits in my area seem to have had a really prolific year. I've seen a lot more of them than usual, and so have other people I've talked to.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

We had a momma bunny get in our chicken wire fenced garden in PA and made a nest underneath one of our squash plants. They didn't take much, but they were the CUTEST things I ever saw! I wish I could remember my myspace log in! They were so cute! And fairly tame as well!

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”