rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

various Southern critters

People warned me about palmetto bugs and we do in fact have some in our house (ick!)

We have only seen them one at a time, but four different ones in the six weeks we have lived here. Per something I read, we have been putting Dawn dish detergent around windows and doors and places they might get in. We didn't see any for awhile, but then we did again. So then we put diatomaceous earth all around the foundation. Haven't seen any since, but I don't know that we won't again. They are creepy.

Have not so far seen ANY ants, not even the ordinary kind, much less army ants or fire ants.

My soil now that I have been digging in it, seems to have a lot of earthworms, but they are very small, maybe 2" long and very skinny. I thought maybe they were some other kind of worm, but I looked closely and they look just like earthworms, even with the pale raised clitellum area. Are they maybe babies? Is there a small variety of earthworm around here?

Even though nothing is planted, there are a ton of squash bugs. They seem to congregate on window screens and screen doors - trying to get in, I guess. At one point there were ten of them on one screen door. At that point, I can't get out to try and get them, without risking letting them in. If I flick them off the screen, they fly away. They seem a bit smaller and better flyers than the ones I am used to. And I don't know what they are eating.

Allyn
Green Thumb

Told ya! :) I find the Palmetto bugs want to come inside when it gets cold out. We had a front move through a few days ago and it got deliciously cool (in the 60s at night, 70s during the day) for a couple of days and I had to swat four of them in one evening. When it is customarily warm outside, I don't see them hardly at all in the house.

I'm glad you haven't been bothered by fire ants. (I've never seen army ants here.) You might want to keep some topical Benadryl in the medicine cabinet just in case.

imafan26
Mod

I had to look up what a palmetto bug is. It is a cockroach. They are all over the place here. The ribbed ones come out of the drains at night so if that is a problem put a stopper in the drain. The 747's are the flying roaches they will swarm on warm nights. Then there are the smaller German roaches. I have 747's in my worm bin and I have to evict them all the time. I do have skinks and mostly anole's now in the yard and they keep the yard populations to a minimum. In the house, my youngest cat is good at catching them and the geckos.

You will have to go out and caulk all the cracks you can find around the foundation and I use combat max control roach bait. It helps but the bait has to be replaced and the traps moved once they get used to it. Boric acid works but since you have the dog it will be hard to use it around the dog. I do put boric acid in the cupboards under the shelf liner and bay leaves in the shelves. And of course never leave food out. Clean out the oven and the stove they like to nest in there because of the food crumbs that get dropped. They also need water and it is one of the reasons why we did not get an ice and water dispensing refrigerator when we were looking for a new one. My handyman told me that they gurgle at night, thewater collects in the door and it gets moldy and the roaches and ants will come for the water and the no. 1 seller for me was that at the time the ice maker would take up 1/3 of the freezer space and if anything smelly was in the freezer like fish, the ice would pick up the freezer odors.

Have you met any termites yet?

Allyn
Green Thumb

This is a different bug than what you're describing. Palmetto bugs aren't just regular cockroaches. They are quite big and they live outdoors, unlike regular roaches that take up residence and live inside the house. They're way too big to crawl out of drains and don't usually survive indoors, but that doesn't stop them from venturing in from time to time. Roach-proofing the inside won't really help deter Palmetto bugs because once they get in, they're likely looking for a way to get back out anyway.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Both right. Palmetto bug is a polite name for American cockroach. They are MUCH larger than the German cockroach which are typical kitchen inhabitants (maybe they should have called them Texas cockroaches !) AND they fly. :shock:

The good news is that as near as I can tell anyway, they don't live in houses in big colonies. If you see one German cockroach, you should understand that there are hundreds more like it that you aren't seeing. But the palmetto bug (such a nicer name - apparently you do find nests/colonies of them in palmetto and other trees), I think is a loner, so just because we killed these four does not (please, God!) mean that there are hundreds of them in our house.

In Cincinnati, we had the ones called water bugs, big black oriental cockroaches, that would be in our basement every once in awhile (but in 14 yrs there, we saw them less than once a year). They were also loners.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

PS anybody know anything about the skinny little earthworms?

applestar
Mod

All I can think of is that in the hot summer, earthworms would have burrowed deeper to stay cool, and wigglers would have sought more moist and/or shady locations. They are likely to be coming back up to the surface or spreading out, to become more active as the fall weather sets in.

So these might be just juvies that hatched recently.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

So more....

Went out this AM after a very heavy morning fog and found that the green ball shrubs which I have not yet gotten rid of are all over spider webby stuff:
IMG_0442.JPG
IMG_0442.JPG (60.09 KiB) Viewed 25865 times
IMG_0443.JPG
There's little patches of it all through the front lawn as well
IMG_0444.JPG
IMG_0444.JPG (78.8 KiB) Viewed 25865 times
It seemed to pretty much appear over night. Anyone know what it is? Am I about to be inundated with spiders or is it something else - bag worm kind of thing (couldn't see any "worms" in it), spider mites, something else?

Should I try getting rid of it? I don't care about the bushes but I don't want an infestation of something horrible...

Allyn
Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Both right. Palmetto bug is a polite name for American cockroach. They are MUCH larger than the German cockroach which are typical kitchen inhabitants (maybe they should have called them Texas cockroaches !) AND they fly. :shock: ...

American cockroach is one of the roaches commonly called Palmetto bugs. The other is the Florida woods cockroach. Both are big, outdoor insects. If it can fly, it's an American cockroach.

Calling them Palmetto bugs avoids the word "cockroach" which generally calls to mind German and other home-invading roaches associated with dirty houses. Since these roaches don't act like that, it seems fitting to give them a different name.

imafan26
Mod

It sounds like the palmetto bugs are the 747's. They are long close to two inches brown with very long antennae. They mostly do live outside but do fly. They like to live in garden debris in shady areas. There is another variety of roach that likes to live in the plants. It is not as big as the 747's and they are more tear drop shaped and they live in colonies. They eat the debris and plant roots if they can get to them. I usually flush them out when I am watering the horseradish. They don't fly much.

I haven't seen a German cockroach in a while, so I think the roach bait works pretty well at controlling them. I need to get larger bait traps for the 747's.

imafan26
Mod

Could the webbing be from tent caterpillars?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

possibly, but I don't think so. Tent caterpillar tents are usually three dimensional and you can see the caterpillars inside them:

https://www.sierrapotomac.org/W_Needham/ ... 040508.jpg

my webs are pretty flat and you can't see any thing on/in them.

applestar
Mod

I have those spider webs all over the place including the lawn and end of a soaker hose that I'm not using (the clever spider has made the hose end the entrance to the the funnel. The ones on the lawn are not obvious unless there is hevy dew or fog, but the shrubbery ones tend to have more debris on them.

I always think of them as "funnel spiders" but I think I remember they are actually called sac spiders and CAN give you a nasty bite if you give them cause. I believe there are brown sac spiders and yellow sac spiders.

They are normally more scared of you than think about jumping you though.

I dropped a harlequin bug juvie on the hose-end funnel about mid-way out and leaned over to watch the spider come out. When it didn't come out, I stepped about 4 feet away -- THEN a brown spider with long teardrop shaped abdomen that was bigger than I expected came out and started hauling the bug back to the funnel, but I got a cramp in my leg and shifted, and the spider dropped its lunch and scurried back inside to hide. :lol:

The funnel web spreads next to an outdoor extension faucet and I have a bucket underneath, and I use this faucet ALL THE TIME as well as dip out from the bucket to water with. I think the goldfish that lives in the bucket gets to eat the bugs that manage to escape the spider's clutches but fall in. :twisted:

Allyn
Green Thumb

I think applestar is correct. I call them funnel spiders ( different than the ones in Australia) or grass spiders and I believe this is the time of year that the egg cases hatch. As soon as the young'uns emerge, they create webs to capture their first prey and to shield themselves from predators. Their venom is low-risk to people -- probably like a bee sting -- and they're non-aggressive.

This has good info:
https://www.uky.edu/Ag/CritterFiles/case ... funnel.htm

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

OK maybe....

I hear applestar's association with water. Yesterday AM was a very heavy, moist fog. We often have morning fog here, but since all the rain, we hadn't had any for awhile, then yesterday was one of the densest.

I went back in late afternoon and almost all the webbing was gone after the sun had been on it for hours. That explains why I didn't notice it before -- it goes away.

I looked up funnel spider web pictures and most of the pictures show a much more obvious funnel:

https://tjsgardendotcom1.files.wordpres ... tunnel.jpg

I didn't notice tunnels (but I wasn't looking for them). But then I found this picture:

https://scottfillmer.files.wordpress.co ... er-web.jpg

which is titled "foggy spring morning of funnel spider" keeping the association with fog/ moisture and looks a lot like what I saw.

Found a bunch of really scary looking pictures of the spider looking huge and of people's fingers or toes rotting off from the bite, but all the scary pictures seemed to be Australian white tail funnel spiders, so I will assume Australian ones are worse.

But all the pictures seemed to be the lawn webbing over holes in the ground. But as shown, I had a bunch of the webbing over top parts of the large shrubs, none lower down on the shrubs. Would funnel spider do that too?

applestar
Mod

Here's a picture I took of the one on the lawn on the rare occasion when the spider was not hiding:
image.jpg
The funnel hole is not obvious unless you see it from the right angle. It's usually off to one side.

...quick search... It looks like this one's common name is "Grass Spider"...

THIS, btw is why I always wear tall gardening boots with pant legs tucked in when I'm trampling around, and walk around gingerly in sneakers... And never garden in sandals -- the ground is full of spiders, not just these relatively stationary web weavers but free-ranging various ground spiders. :o

The ones on the bushes could also be just crisscrossing safety tethers after a night of hunting, but if they form defined bonnet/saucer shapes, then I think they are probably funnel spider webs.

Allyn
Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:...But all the pictures seemed to be the lawn webbing over holes in the ground. But as shown, I had a bunch of the webbing over top parts of the large shrubs, none lower down on the shrubs. Would funnel spider do that too?
Yes. Like this:

The webs usually aren't visible unless they're covered with dew. Which is why you see them in the morning and then they seem to disappear after the dew burns off. It's a country saying that if the funnel web spider's web is covered with dew in the morning, it's going to be a beautiful day. (Yeah, I know it's silly, but you know how those old country sayings go.)

The Australian species is, from what I can gather, more like our brown recluse spiders. My husband has horror stories about brown recluse spiders. Your grass spiders (funnel spiders) are benign enough, though you do want to read up on brown recluse spiders and be able to identify them. We have those down here and they are some nasty stuff.
Last edited by Allyn on Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imafan26
Mod

Since, I don't really see this happening in where I am. So, you are saying tht the webs are probably always around,you just don't see them because they only visible under certain conditions?

Spiders are not bad for the garden, they do eat pests. Until recently the spiders here were mostly large and ugly but harmless but now I think somebody brought in some black widow spiders and the brown recluse came in the storage containers years ago.

Allyn
Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:Since, I don't really see this happening in where I am. So, you are saying tht the webs are probably always around,you just don't see them because they only visible under certain conditions? ... .
That's what I understand, though I've never tested it. I usually ignore webs unless it's covering something I need, so I've never gone to a spot later in the day where I saw a web to verify that it was still there. Somewhere I picked up (I read or someone told me) that you can only see the webs when they have dew on them because the threads are so fine. It may be that the webs aren't literally invisible, but they're probably so inconspicuous without the dew that we don't notice them without close inspection.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Thanks, Allyn! That is exactly what I have. And yes, I think the webs are a lot less conspicuous once the dew is off them, but maybe also a bit reduced - some of the very fine webbing dries up and blows away?

I looked a little more today and still have not seen any of the spiders, but I haven't really made a good study.

Interesting, these spiders are not actually a "Southern critter," being apparently just as common in Ohio where I used to be as they are here. I think we just have here the weather conditions for making them more visible with lots of heavy AM fogs and dews, much more than I am used to.

Allyn
Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:...I looked a little more today and still have not seen any of the spiders, but I haven't really made a good study. ...
I think they're related to wolf spiders, in that they hide and then jump out to catch prey -- in this case, when something gets caught in the web. Then it retreats back to the hiding place (which is, I think, in the "funnel") to enjoy their meal. So it may be a matter of chance to see one out.

You'll probably find that there will be a lot of things here that you had up north, but the cold temperatures and long (comparatively speaking) winter kept them in check up there

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wow! A whole huge flock of starlings just descended on my front lawn and the neighbor's across the street. First time I have seen them. They are walking around dipping their bills into the lawn.

Might they be eating those grass spiders?

Ain't Nature wonderful? Just when I was getting a little weirded out about not wanting to walk across the lawn...

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Raking leaves for the compost pile yesterday, I found several of these:
IMG_0463.JPG
IMG_0463.JPG (35 KiB) Viewed 25775 times
golf ball sized or just a little bigger, very light, hollow. At first I thought maybe some kind of puffball fungus, but the outside is hard/crisp and they all have exit holes, where probably something hatched out. Any idea what it was?

Also this little guy, not the greatest picture:
IMG_0455.JPG
IMG_0455.JPG (82.61 KiB) Viewed 25775 times
some kind of frog or toad.

And there was a hairy woodpecker working away on the shed roof. Presumably some kind of bug is living amongst the shingles.....

applestar
Mod

I immediately thought of the galls on my Willow oak, but those are much smaller.

Looking up "golfball sized oak galls", I found this:

https://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecolo ... l_wasp.htm
Oak Apple Gall Wasps are usually identified by their gall. This very large gall grows up to two inches wide, but is usually golf-ball sized. Apple galls have a thin, papery shell and are spongy inside. They are green at first, turning brown later.
What do you think?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Oh, good job, applestar. I think you nailed it! Did I mention I was raking up leaves around the big old OAK tree?

Yes, it looks exactly like that. Interesting to know that only one wasp came out of each one. They were so big, I was picturing thousands of spiders or something from each.

Your article said they mainly only use southern red oaks or black oaks. I am in the distribution range for both. So you made me so curious I had to go out at midnight and collect a few of the fallen leaves.

Sure enough, bingo, it is the black oak:

https://www.extension.iastate.edu/fores ... leaves.jpg

Don't you love it when you are so right? :) You not only helped me identify the gall and its wasp inhabitant, you helped me identify what kind of oak tree "I" have (the tree is really in my neighbor's yard, but a lot of its large branches stretch over into mine).

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Wow. This is a great thread.
I have never seen a funnel spider web before. That picture is fascinating.
When we were in Hawaii (Maui & Kauai) there were bugs on the floor of the rental car. The bugs would scurry into hiding when we got in. It gave me the creeps because I knew that the bugs were hiding under the seats. I couldn't wait to get out of that car each time we road in it. I wonder if those bugs were cockroaches. I don't think they were big enough to be 747's.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

A friend helped me identify the little guy in the second picture above as "American toad," bufo americanus.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Oak galls, such as you found, are fairly common and wide spread geographically. Traditionally have been used in some dyeing processes, and IIRC, ink making, and perhaps tanning.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

thanks, Susan. Very interesting... I learn so much around here! :D You stimulated me to look it up more. Indeed, used in tanning, very high in tannic acid, and in dying. "the gall formation is a defensive measure by the oak tree and therefore contains strong natural astringent compounds such as tannic acid. In fact, according to Botanical.com, oak galls are the most astringent vegetable compound in the world. ...Also medicinally, mainly topically: American Indians used poultices of ground gall nuts on sores, cuts and burns ... Recently there has been an interest in using oak galls as a source of natural pesticide, as that is its original function and intent by the oak tree itself.
https://www.ehow.com/about_5398760_oak-galls-used.html

Seems like if you had a container or small plot you wanted to acidify more (e.g for growing blueberries) collecting and grinding up some oak galls would be good for that.

applestar
Mod

Yesterday, I went to a new dentist who supports natural remedies in addition to conventional ones.

When I mentioned I usually use tea tree oil and echinacea tincture, plus goldenseal tincture for tooth and gum inflammations, she recommended this product, which uses additional ingredients that I wasn’t aware of, with interesting beneficial effects.

...so of course I looked up the ingredients and came across this recipe:

Tooth And Gum Restore Formula Dr Schulze how to make it (Dr. Schulze Forum # 1 [Archive]) 10/1/2009 1500102
https://www.curezone.org/forums/fm.asp?I=1500102

Great details and additional info which I excerpt here:
The formulator of this formula, Dr. Richard Schulze , says "The Echinacea tincture deadens the pain immediately – when you get it down into your gum line. It also is a surface disinfectant and stimulates your immune system to start working against bacteria that is down in there. The bayberry is one of the stronger astringents, so it will take that gum tissue and literally tighten it right up in front of your eyes. . . . " Oak is also an astringent. "Oh yes, peppermint is a very strong disinfectant, and it’s a very strong circulatory stimulant. Dr. Christopher even listed it next to cayenne in his School of Natural Healing under circulation stimulants. Peppermint also reduces inflammation, so it’s a great one for curing dental diseases."
...then I looked up oakgall as herbal ingredient and found out that the specific ingredient is from oak native to India and (imported?) in Europe ...or maybe it’s the other way around... but Native American oak and their galls can be used:

Backyard Medicine: Harvest and Make Your Own Herbal Remedies - Julie Bruton-Seal, Matthew Seal - Google Books
https://books.google.com/books/about/Ba ... jtTW9xM20C

...so OF COURSE, I remembered this thread :D

— I'm going to look around my garden and see if the marble-sized oak-galls are still around and harvestable, but maybe I should ask rainbowgardener to send me some of HER oak apples..... Image

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Remind me next year, applestar! :D The season for them is past now and I didn't save any. I only see a few of them each year, anyway.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

When I lived in town everyone in the neighborhood had wood roaches by the 1000s. About an hour after dark turn on an outside light the driveway is covered with so many wood roaches it looks like probably 10,000. roaches. People that mulch their trees and bushes attract those roaches because they eat wood. Wood roaches do not come inside the house. I never mulched, bushes, trees, garden, so I did not have as many roaches in the yard as the neighbors.

Funnel spiders are wolf spiders. I don't like spiders very much but I like, wolf, zipper and jumping spiders. If I catch a spider I turn it loose in the garden. Jumping spiders are cute little multi color hairy things, don't get too close up looking at them they will jump in your face. LOL.

We had a very bad ant problem when I lived in town. Ants were coming in through a crack behind the refrigerator, they came in the bathroom through the water pipe hole, and came in the back door. I bought several bags of white sugar at the grocery store and put the sugar bags under the house in several places. Ants in search of food stopped at the sugar bags and never came inside the house ever again the 20 years we lived there.

TN is well known for having millions of brown recluse spiders. They love to hide inside or behind cardboard boxes. Every time I move a box in the garage a brown recluse spider come running up my arm. I jerk my arm really fast and they fall off. You can make brown recluse spider traps with empty toilet paper tubes. Glue small pieces of cereal box cardboard on 1 end of paper tubes then put a piece is sticky tape in the bottom of the tube. Duct tape works good. Place the toilet paper tubes every place you see brown recluse spiders they like to hide in dark places they get stuck to the tape in the bottom of the dark tubes.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I have never seen either a wood roach or a brown recluse spider in my life -- and we always have cardboard waiting to be recycled in our garage.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

RBG this is a long thread and I only skimmed through it. Your Palmetto Bugs really are not a huge problem. Disgusting - yes. Give them a smack and toss the carcass. When I lived in apartments the small German Roaches were a serious problem. Really difficult to get rid of. We seldom have roaches. Over the last 3 weeks of stupid crazy cold I have seen 2 large Palmetto Bugs in the house. :eek: I sicked my cat Daisy Faye on them. She had a ball, got her exercise for the day and did away with the creatures. I do not like creatures of any kind in the house. Roaches really are disgusting. Flies are worse - a summer torment.

Welcome to the south!! :-()

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, the palmetto bugs are creepy, but they are loners and don't get in the house all that often.

I can't say we have any more flies than I am used to in Ohio, and that is even though we have a horse ranch in our backyard.

There are a ton of mosquitoes though -- Chattanooga is a pretty wet place with lots of creeks, roadside ditches, etc, that provide great homes for them. But even so, it's not necessarily worse. In Cincinnati we had a big natural pond at the bottom of our hill, with very little outlet, that was also a breeding ground.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

RBG - If you have enough "fly space" you may want to consider Purple Martin Houses. They eat their weight in mosquitoes. We never had the room for them when we had our live oak. Now that it is gone Purple Martin Houses are on G's "to do" list.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The ranch behind us has a whole bunch of them. They are essentially about a block from our house. With a colony of purple martin houses that close, do you think it would make any difference to add more in our yard?

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”