ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

First Fall Hummingbirds

Hello All,

I was pleasantly surprised this morning to see a pair of hummingbirds flitting around the patio. I am surprised because my containers of hummingbird attractant plants are suffering from the extreme heat and drought.

They flitted around the Plumeria which I managed to keep in bloom. Time to put out the feeders.

I managed to kill a bunch of plants and damage others from neglect. I CAN NOT deal with the triple digit temperatures we had this summer.

Happy to see the Hummers. They made my day. :-()
Elizabeth - or Your Majesty

Living and growing in Lafayette, La.

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. ~Author Unknown

catgrass
Green Thumb

Re: First Fall Hummingbirds

I now have 4. I put my 1st feeder out last week. My shrimp plant is still blooming good, and I have lots of zinnias, so they're hitting the flowers.
zone 9 Southwest La.

applestar
Mod

OK, so the hummers migrate THRU your area?
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

catgrass
Green Thumb

Yes, we do have year round hummers, but they are sparse. Usually September is when we have lots of them, and they're usually here for just a couple of weeks. I am about 60 miles from the Gulf of Mexico as the crow flies, and they feed heavily here to make the trip.
zone 9 Southwest La.

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”