LIcenter

First time planting Tithonia 'Mexican Sunflower'

I gotta say I am quite impressed with this plant. Total height is roughly 4 feet, and the stalks are thick, so no need to tie them off. I never thought it, but it is a absolute magnet for hummers, all types of bees, and butterfly's. I've given it water twice this year even though we have been in a pretty good drought. Will I plant it again? Absolutely!

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Beautiful pictures! I'm going to have to plant some. It's on my project list. Thank you!

catgrass
Green Thumb

I love this plant. I always forget how big it gets, though. I swear next year I'm going to plant it in a bed by itself. Yes, the bees and butterflies love it-hummers go to it, too, but I have other plants that the hummers prefer, but it is an outstanding specimen!

Susan W
Greener Thumb

This seems to be one of the 'hot' new pollinator magnet plants. I started some from seed, and got a couple starts in a large container late (recurring theme with me). Plants growing, robust, no blooms yet. I think they may need more sun, and perhaps I should work in a handful of osmacote for a boost.

If one is looking to try for the native plant theme, this doesn't fit. Zinnias and marigolds don't fit in either for native, but we use and enjoy them.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

When I had my landscaping business Tithonia was a favorite landscaping plant for rustic landscapes. Beautiful flowers that are an attractant to humming birds and butterflies. Love it!

applestar
Mod

Beautiful pictures Licenter :D

Someone sent me seeds for this in a bundle trade since I ran out, but somehow I couldn't get them to germinate. ...But I was having some trouble all around with peppers and tomatoes at that time, so it was probably my fault. I will have to try again next year.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I enjoy watching the bees as they flit from flower to flower. I took alot of pictures of bees on my bright orange poppies. My computer crashed so the pictures are stuck on the hard drive. I hope that the pictures can be recovered. I was planning to use them for a watercolor painting. I want to do the same with a monarch butterfly but I haven't seen one for so long. The last time I saw a monarch butterfly was about 25 years ago. Isn't that a shame? I was taking some laundry down from the clothes line, moving slowly to the left from towel to towel, and then suddenly a monarch butterfly was right in front of my face, about an inch from my nose. It was sleeping on the towel that I was getting ready to take down. A once in a lifetime experience. I also had an amazing dragonfly experience once. I was riding my bike and a dragonfly was flying at eye level about 12 inches in front of my face for about a mile.

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”