GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Bats!

Am ecstatic since last night I saw TWO (yes, two) bats flittering around when I went out to water/hay the horses.

I'm a HUGE bat enthusiast, & have been very dismayed that since WNS (White-Nose Syndrome) started rearing it's ugly head, that the DOZENS of bats we used to see here had dropped to a drizzle of zero to one at best the past three years or so.

But last night I saw two of the little devils flitting around. One absolutely tiny one that I'm thinking was most likely a "Little Brown Bat", since they're very common here; the other was much larger (maybe 10"-12" wingspan"), so that one could have been one of several larger species that frequent Virginia. (Bats are extremely difficult to identify when alive & in flight - lol!)

Regardless - I don't care. Was just thrilled to see at least two hunting the skies.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Yeah!

My Sister put bat houses around her pond. It took years before bats decided to take up residence.

:-()

Allyn
Green Thumb

Yay! I'm with you. Bats are awesome creatures. I have plans for building a bathouse and the space allocated in my property plan. It's creeping closer to the top of my To-Do list. :)

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”