Susan W
Greener Thumb

Cardinal family

I have had fun watching a pair of cardinals set up housekeeping. I noticed them in the camelia outside my window. The home site is high, above people noticing, and in the thick of some leaves. First they built the nest., Well, she did, he messed around. Then she had the egg sitting. Now it looks like 2 babies as I can see 2 wide beaks above the nest when food is on the way. Both mom and dad forage and fetch and feed, a constant with 2 eating machines! They forage and rummage in shrubbery for insects, which is fine with me. I checked with a friend who is a bird guru here in TN. He reported they feed the wee babies soft bodied insects, then can work up to crunchier ones. Adults are omnivores, mainly seeds in winter, more bugs in summer.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

I do not have as many birds nesting in the yard since we had to remove our 150+ year old southern live oak. The birds still visit. I love the chatter of the Mockingbirds, the cooing of the Doves and the chirping of the Cardinals. I love my Hummers. The Blue Jays and Grackles are annoying and at times aggressive to the other birds. There is a pair of Red Breasted Hawks that nest near by. I love when they visit.

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”