laur527
Newly Registered

Toads in my window well...remove or not remove?

Every year around this time I notice one or 2 toads in one of my window wells. In the past, I removed them, figuring they couldn't get out on their own. This year Ive been doing a lot of googling and I'm reading contradictory info. As of last night, I felt ok about leaving the toad where he was, after giving it some water. Tonight I saw a second, much smaller one in there. And I did some more googling, and came across a couple of articles about how toads and frogs should be removed from window wells. So I just can't decide what to do. I know they're great for gardens, but the garden hasn't been planted yet. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I was also planning to put a frog ramp in the window well so they could climb out, but the only place I've found that has ones that would work for a window well is in the UK and they don't ship out of the country.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Toads and amphibians I set loose when I find them in wells or filters.

laur527
Newly Registered

Thanks for your feedback~

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Definitely remove them & set them free. I can't imagine a frog or toad or any other living thing wanting to live out its life in a window well or any other containment.

laur527
Newly Registered

Thanks for your feedback, I'll remove them when I get home this evening

laur527
Newly Registered

I like that idea...and will do that but now I can't find the toads in the window well. They may have burrowed themselves in the dirt since it's a little cold here today so I'll check again later.

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”