applestar
Mod

Re: Habitable places (frogs and toads)

Tonight, same call was coming from right outside the open kitchen door to the patio and it really really sounds like New Jersey Chorus Frog. :mrgreen:
:arrow: https://www.njfrogsounds.com

imafan26
Mod

It is a cloudy day today, the greenhouse frogs are singing early.
The coqui frog is an accidentally introduced alien species that is all over the Big Island. There was a large colony around Lake Wilson in Wahiawa but I think they managed to get rid of them there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZUOiZG84c0

applestar
Mod

I mentioned elsewhere that the Green frogs disappeared from my pond.

Today, I heard a very loud chorus Frog call from the direction of the pond. When I snuck up, I found these two in there :()

applestar
Mod

We had two days of rain followed by a pleasant day and this evening, there is a chorus of frogs out there — cricket-like high pitched tones of Spring Peepers, trilling bursts of chirps from Grey Treefrogs, plucked banjo string sounds from the Green Frog (only one out there so far as I know), and just now, the clicking chorus of Boreal Chorus Frogs....

ID’s based on this site —
https://musicofnature.com/calls-of-frog ... northeast/

applestar
Mod

I harvested some lettuce — mostly loose single leaves, but one bunched stalk of Vermaine cos lettuce that has started to bolt. I was soaking them in a bucket on the patio to let debris and foreign matter float out... and came back to find something unexpected. :shock:

...LOL ... WASH YOUR LETTUCE BEFORE BRINGING THEM INSIDE, PEOPLE! :lol:

...DD just pointed out that this is a little Grey Treefrog, doing its best to camouflage itself by turning pink — and she’s right. I thought it was a Spring Peeper. :>

applestar
Mod

I have been hearing the resident northern green frog in areas AROUND the pond by not in the usual places along the edge or in it. I suspect he might be on the run and hiding from the raccoons... the funny thing is he still makes the banjo-ribbit call. I heard him by the patio and found him backed up under a Log —

... I guess he doesn’t think that the light-colored hose could be a snake...

applestar
Mod

After a day and night of heavy rains, Treefrogs were calling from everywhere, and I found this little guy when I was lifting cabbage leaves to check for caterpillars. I hope he likes cabbageworms :P

applestar
Mod

This little frog in my little pond found itself an even tinier “pond” to call its own :D

applestar
Mod

We had a bit of rain — about 1/4 inch — around 9pm, and humidity will stay near 100% all night. The fireflies are everywhere, and (I’m guessing) three Northern Grey Treefrogs have started a yodeling contest around my pond.

They are unbearably loud in the rooms with open windows facing the pond....

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I saw a craiglist ad for rehoming of 3 tree frogs. They live in an aquarium tank. It is small but with some nice moss, tree branches etc. I wonder if I took them and then let them how they would do? I don't have a clue, but don't like to see frogs confined like that. I wonder if they would be better off outside. I don't know where tree frogs normally live. They are probably from a pet store and might need a warmer climate. I think that I need to pretend like I didn't see this ad.

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”