kimloveroses
Newly Registered

Squirrels

I have some peach trees, a plum tree, a lemon tree, grapes and black berries. Unfortunately I have never been able to eat the fruit of these plants and trees because the squirrels in our yard eat every last piece of fruit before we get a chance. They will eat them even before they are ripe! What can we do to stop these squirrels from eating all of our fruit. They also dig up all of my flower pots, uprooting plants. I use to love watching them play in the tree's but now I just want them to leave. What can we do to stop these squirrels?

puzzlejunky
Cool Member

I'll be watching this thread closely. My neighbor has a winter pear tree and he normally gives us all his fruit..however last year one squirrel (just one!) took every last one. Unfortunately..its not on our property, so any solution we use has to be ok'd by him.

They're cute little buggers...but man are they greedy!

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I just trapped my 12th squirrel of the season! Some people say they're cute, but I just call them rats with fuzzy tails. :twisted:

puzzlejunky
Cool Member

I think he'll let me hang stuff. I once hung old wine bottles over the buds in hopes of the fruit growing inside the bottle to make pear brandy.It didn't work..but he's definately not turned off by the idea of hanging weird things from his tree. Thanks.

kimloveroses
Newly Registered

I will try hanging the shiny things in the trees. They are by the road so I am sure my neighbors will love it. My front yard has over 100 tree's, Hickory, Walnut, and Oaks, so there is a ton for the squirrels to eat. But they still think they need my fruit! My neighbor and I talked about the live trap idea although I think I would me "relocating" squirrels every day with that.

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”