slackercruster
Newly Registered

Best bait for coon traps?

I got a couple of catch and release traps today at Tractor Supply. What is the best bait for coons? I also have some problem with rabbits, groundhogs and possums if there is a bait that will work universally.

I have 20 something fruit trees about 5 to 6 years old. They produce some. Last year the critters stripped them ALL clean. I got nothing. One Asian pear had maybe 100 to 150 pears. The animals cleaned it all off. Disgusting!

Thanks!

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I've live trapped a few racoons, in town at that. As I recall used canned kitty food (cheap stuff). You have to figure how to tie down the can or the masked robbers will carry it out.
Hope this helps

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

I use dry cat food in a dish or otherwise the gophers dig under the trap and eat the cat food. I use the cat food universally but raccoons also love marshmallows and I trap less cats that way. Its a great way to use them up if they have gotten hard or dried out.

RedBeard1987

ive caught a few coons over the years. The raccoons around us eat mostly garbage so I find garbage is best, ha! but seriously iv had the best luck with day old bacon, and spoiling lunch meat. caught a whole family that was living under my old mobile home. caught both the babies in one trap at the same time!

slackercruster
Newly Registered

Tractor Supply traps must not be any good. I had 3 of them baited last night and they are picked clean of bait with no coons trapped. What a pain these coons are.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

I don't like the trap I got from tsc. It is not as durable and the one I bought only had one latch and they could get by it. I had to have my handy man weld and reinforce. I like the one I ordered on line from live habitat off of Amazon.

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”