Susan W
Greener Thumb

I see you...!!

I was putting blame on the wrong fur face. That something that digs up freshly planted (large) pots and some in-ground. I usually remember to put down strips of plastic fencing or something. This to keep kitty from using the space as her box. I have several large containers with newly planted spinach. I put old light weight metal grills or refrig shelves over the top. One pot doing fine, took off top. Voila, dug up! Of course I looked at kitty. Today Kitty at the table looking out the kitchen window with intent. There was the squirrel deciding where to dig and plant its pecan. Grrrrrr

RainBird23
Newly Registered
Location: PNW Zone 8b except when I forget to bring the pots in

That gave me a much needed laugh, thanks! I couldn't figure out why so many odd looking "weeds" were sprouting among the lettuce in my Rubbermaid containers until I let some grow a bit and discovered, amazingly enough, it was corn from the bird feeder that some enterprising squirrel had planted. Next summer I'll just fill the containers and let them plant all the feed crops :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yup! I have a big old black walnut tree that drops hundreds of black walnuts. None of them sprout, except the ones that the squirrels bury in the nice loose dirt of flower and veggie beds. I think it is some kind of symbiotic thing - the tree provides tons of squirrel food in return for having some of its seeds properly planted.

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”